Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Michter's Original Sour Mash Whiskey

It may be, but why use the name of the one brand Michter's was known for (albeit knowledge of the brand was hardly extensive in its heyday and far less today some 20 years after the expiry of the original business)? The current outfit started in the 90's and had lots of time to commission a whiskey using that mashbill, if it wanted to.

Or maybe there is no connection in the make-up whatever. I'd like to taste it to see though.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-28-2012 at 12:16.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I can't imagine why anyone would believe anything Potemkin Michter's says about anything.

Most recently, they have claimed that the first whiskey they sold as Michter's was stock from the real Michter's. While I can't prove that's a false statement, the facts I know make it extremely unlikely and the track record of this company is that they are not to be believed about anything.

Even if they do put some decent whiskey into their bottles, I just can't see doing business with someone I can't trust.

But that's just me, I guess. It is, as they say, a free country.

Those opposed to how they market are free to say so, and why, and not to buy this or any brand. As for me, I just want to try it and see what it's like. And they haven't said as such it is a replication of the original, but I think you can infer it, possibly, from the tenor of the ad which is typical of many modern whiskey ads which talk about heritage and pedigree in a vague way.

And if it turns out there is no connection at all in the make-up, I won't feel disappointed, I have no expectation on it one way or the other. (It's a bottle of whiskey at the end of the day and I want to try it).

Maybe someone from the whisky press will call them up and ask them...

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-28-2012 at 12:59.

Why ask questions of people who you know will lie to you? What makes you think their dishonesty ends with their marketing? Of course they 'infer' that it is a replication of the original, hoping people with bottomless reserves of credulity will drop the dime. Be my guest. Then I'd like to talk to you about a bridge I'm selling.

Guru

Precisely Gary, why? Because it is the name they were known for. We consumed a lot of Michters in the mid-late '70s when it showed up here as part of a national sales push. We considered it a Jack Daniels knock off with the black label, white lettering, sour mash buzzwords, etc., a mid to premium brand priced a bit higher than Old Crow but lower than the BIB versions of Forester, Grand Dad, Taylor or Fitzgerald.

In short a good enough though unexceptional whisky. Hard to believe it matured into the justly famous 16 year old expression put out by Hirsch. Then again, perhaps the simple explanation is the correct one. They didn't make that whisky.

So how did Michters grow from a regional to national distribution so quickly? A careful reading of the Original Pot Still Sour Mash label only says the whisky was made in Pennsylvania, not where. Was the Hirsch in fact a Michter distillate and the Original Pot Still brand beefed up with bulk whisky from another supplier. Michter was itself at times a supplier to other brands, surely there were established connections. It would be interesting to review both production and distribution figures.
    Last edited by squire; 12-28-2012 at 13:02.

Guru

Gary I was speaking in response to your post, Chuck's just happened to hit two minutes before mine was entered.

A. H. Hirsch is bourbon, Michter's Original is not. A. H. Hirsch is 16 to 20 years old, Michter's Original is 4 to 5 years old. I've had both and they're as different as night and day. Both were made at the distillery in Schaefferstown, although the Michter's may have been supplemented by whiskey that was not.

Squire, they were known for it but it was hardly a huge seller back then. Very few people today, even in groups like ours, would know what this was. So if they use the same name maybe they intended some taste connection. And maybe they didn't, I can live with that. Simple, end of story, and I'll spend $30.00 or whatever it will cost to see if it tastes like a kind of bourbon-rye mingling. That is all this is (to me) but if people don't want to buy it, that is up to them.

Gary

Guru

Certainly Gary and I would hope you know me well enough by now to realize my posts were not directed at either your personal tastes or purchase decisions.

I am growing more mindful of the number of daily visitors and new members to this forum who might be led to buy a brand because of something posted here and not be aware of the facts (it's NPP whisky) that, if known, may have led them to spend their dollars elsewhere.

By all means I encourage all views to be aired, whether in agreement to mine or no. As well, I counsel no one to do anything here, but simply explain why I will buy something or not.

Gary