Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Michter's Original Sour Mash Whiskey

I was thinking the same thing. I know they're doing some touristy distillery thingy down in Louisville with a pot still, but:
    1. I haven't heard anything about it actually being built or even under construction.
    2. Even if it is complete or near completion, they certainly wouldn't have aged product!

I'm trying to get my hands on a bottle (Or bottles....) of this stuff. If I do, I will do a review versus some of Dick Stoll's finest from Schaefferstown, PA!! I see Party Source lists it, but of course being in PA, I can't get it shipped here (Thank you PLCB blockade.).
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

They're generally smart enough to not make false label claims.

The government didn't redistill anything because the government doesn't operate any stills. They would have given or, if possible, sold it to a redistiller who would have distilled it into neutral spirit, which could have used for anything neutral spirits is used for. The rumor at the time, according to Stoll and others, was racing fuel, which is a possibility, but that may also have been someone's shorthand for GNS. To use it for a beverage, i.e., vodka, the excise would have to be paid so it had to have been used for a non-beverage purpose.

There is always the possibility that there was someone else, like Hirsch, who owned some of that whiskey and had paid the excise on it, and got it out before 2/14/1990. Though possible, it's doubtful because Stoll doesn't remember anything else like that and it's never been mentioned or hinted at by anyone, including Potemkin Michter's, until recently.

Connoisseur

Correct. From what I've been told from a few people the whiskey was taken by tanker to somewhere in Philly where it was redistilled by an industrial alcohols company- maybe Publicker? Tough to say.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

Those tanker trucks were driven by Teamsters, right?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It should be said that anybody in the distilled spirits business could have had that whiskey for the price of the back taxes. Nobody wanted it. Not even, I dare say, the Teamsters.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It should be said that anybody in the distilled spirits business could have had that whiskey for the price of the back taxes. Nobody wanted it. Not even, I dare say, the Teamsters.
    I am wandering if Squire was perhaps suggesting that the Teamsters might have found an opportunity to sample the goods in transit. You know, just to make sure they were up to and appropriate standard of quality...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Yeah, that was my thinking, probably needed their friend's opinions as well.

I am a little late to the conversation ... but great thread on Michter's Original Sour Mash. It was 16 months ago that Dick Stoll came by our distillery and spent the weekend teaching us to mash and distill on the barrel-a-day set that he used to run in the little Jug House at Michter's. What a great opportunity for me to learn from the Master. And ... the whiskey he made with us, using his Bourbon mash bill, is over a year old now, and is tasting great. It's not ready for release yet ... but ...

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ohiobourbon View Post
    I am a little late to the conversation ... but great thread on Michter's Original Sour Mash. It was 16 months ago that Dick Stoll came by our distillery and spent the weekend teaching us to mash and distill on the barrel-a-day set that he used to run in the little Jug House at Michter's. What a great opportunity for me to learn from the Master. And ... the whiskey he made with us, using his Bourbon mash bill, is over a year old now, and is tasting great. It's not ready for release yet ... but ...
    Thanks for checking in, and keep us informed on the progress. Looking forward to the final results!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

I gave some of this new whiskey to Dick Stoll last evening to get his opinion. He did enjoy it and said it was certainly similar to what was made by him in Pennsylvania. His last remark was "Keep trying! You're getting closer!" with a chuckle. My other friends in attendance all agreed it is indeed a fine whiskey too, and probably the company's offering closest to being worthy of the Michter's name.