Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Michter's Original Sour Mash Whiskey

If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

Michter's Original Sour Mash Whiskey

I like it as well but I know I overpaid for my bottle. If it were higher ABV (BiB or Cask Strength), it'd really something to write home about.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

I'm interested in getting my hands on some of the 10 year single barrel rye that is supposedly older than the age statement. I've seen the discussion that some of the early runs were theorized to be 18+ year Medley juice.

To the point, I've got some bottles nearby with the "Barrel 10H-2" on the neck label. Anyone know if this is any indication that could lead me towards a hidden gem? I'd usually take the plunge and decide for myself, but the price is a bit steep for me to take a blind gamble. The bottles certainly qualify as "dusty" in the most literal sense.
    Last edited by Trey Manthey; 02-28-2013 at 15:00.

Connoisseur

I revisited my bottle of new Michter's Sour Mash this evening and found it eerily similar to my bottle of Old Grand Dad 86. I never realized how close OGD 86 is to original Michter's from Schaefferstown,PA. But then again, you've got Beam yeast and process in both, they're about the same age, and they both contain a significant helping of rye. No wonder I've loved OGD all this time....
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

Old Grand Dad rules . . . there, I said it.

Connoisseur

It's one of 5 Beam products I like. The other 4? Knob Creek bourbon, Knob Creek rye, Old Overholt, and Baker's. Several years ago when I had OGD BIB for the first time, it instantly became my favorite bourbon. I am almost ashamed to say it was pushed to the back of my cabinet to make room for others. The 114 and 86 iterations are wonderful too and I've recently started to revisit them more often and I've found them to be a great, inexpensive oasis in a desert of mid- and upper-shelf whiskies. Interestingly in the 4 or 5 years I've been an OGD fan, I never noticed the similarities between it and Michter's from Pennsylvania in profile. But it fits- the mashbill is somewhat similar, the age is close, and the proof and yeast are the same or similar. If OGD was slightly higher yet in rye content, used a heavy char barrel, and was aged for 6 years, we'd have probably an all but perfect match. Hopefully Beam leaves OGD alone!

Enthusiast

Well ... now we've heard it! It was rumored that OGD might be a favorite of yours.
    Jon

Enthusiast

I got a taste of it last night on the porch and my first impression was that it was a little light on it's feet. The rye stands out and it's an easy to drink pour. Perhaps too easy for me as I'd like my bourbon to fight back a bit so that I can hold to a once per hour routine. (OGD114, Squire) This one was gone in 10 minutes! My fellow porch denizens, however, were much more complimentary and I'm sure we'll be seeing it on the shelves soon. The price might make one pause.
    Thanks, Ethan, for that feedback & enjoyed your blog.
    Jon

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Actually, OGD may be one of the few bourbons whose yeast doesn't have a Beam in its pedigree. For OGD, Beams uses the yeast National was using for the brand at the Forks of Elkhorn distillery, and not the standard Jim Beam yeast.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Actually, OGD may be one of the few bourbons whose yeast doesn't have a Beam in its pedigree. For OGD, Beams uses the yeast National was using for the brand at the Forks of Elkhorn distillery, and not the standard Jim Beam yeast.
    That may well be why I think it is the best in the Beam line-up. I don't get that funky Beam yeast taste in OGD.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"