Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

The other day, passed on a PHC 1st Edition and A.H.H. 16 yr (gold foil)... Store owner was asking way too much, I think. $375 for the gold foil and around $400 for the PHC. Pretty cool to see them out in the wild but geez, way too expensive.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JLH3 View Post
    After hearing all the acclaim for the 4RSmbLE (and since I love the regular SmB) I searched all over to find some around here and couldn't. So I called a store that I've bought Pappy from before to ask if they could get any. Next day the call and say they have it.

So I rush down to get a bottle for me and one for my dad for his bday. Only to find out that it's the 2011, not the 2012.

I'm sure the 2011 is good, but everything I've read said it's not the 2012. And I'm not going to spend over $200 on two bottles of the wrong bourbon.

The store is going to call to see if they can get the 2012. I hope so.
    I see the 2011 quite a bit. I haven't seen the 2012 in months. Good luck with your search.

Taster

Just passed up a bottle of ORVW 10/107 ( $79 ) and PVW 20 ( $229 ) at Calandros in Baton Rouge...those prices are way too rich for my blood. Disappointed I passed up the entire BTAC run in early December at the same store.

Disciple

What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

Quote Originally Posted by grantsi View Post
    Just passed up a bottle of ORVW 10/107 ( $79 ) and PVW 20 ( $229 ) at Calandros in Baton Rouge...those prices are way too rich for my blood. Disappointed I passed up the entire BTAC run in early December at the same store.
    Don't be disappointed. If you'd bought those bottles for those prices the real disappointment would come when you tasted them and realized you'd been had.
    Jim

Guru

That's surprising Grant. Louisiana has some well stocked stores with competitive prices all over the State.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by matthewdc View Post
    The other day, passed on a PHC 1st Edition and A.H.H. 16 yr (gold foil)... Store owner was asking way too much, I think. $375 for the gold foil and around $400 for the PHC. Pretty cool to see them out in the wild but geez, way too expensive.
    Would that be the store off the Dupont Circle metro?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    That's surprising Grant. Louisiana has some well stocked stores with competitive prices all over the State.
    Not true anymore. Over the last year, whiskey prices (Van Winkle in particular) have increased around the board due to the largest distributor (Republic) catching on to the demand and limited supply and increasing their prices to the retailers. Unfortunately, this has led many of the retailers to jump on the bandwagon as well. Can't say I blame them...I just feel sorry for the poor saps who are actually paying the prices.

Out of all the stores where I've purchased PVW over the years (Martin Wine Cellar, Cuban Liquor, Calandro's, Churchhill's, Dorignac's), all of them have raised their prices to AT LEAST 2x MSRP, and in the case of the last two, 4x to 5x MSRP.

I'd love to support our local economy, but unfortunately, with the price increases I've started buying everything over the web. Kentucky, New Jersey, and California see most of my alcohol budget now.

Guru

Sorry to hear that Trey, the last time I shopped in a LA store was a year ago and the prices on BTAC were still reasonable. Dorignac's you say? They used to be quite reasonable, better than Martin's. When the Van Winkle Old Time rye was being discontinued we went down there and got the last one Martin's had and the last two at Dorignac's, prices on all three were reasonable, but, that was awhile back.

Enthusiast

Passed on FRSB 2012 and 2011, High West 21yr rye 750ml for $135 at one place and the 375ml bottle for $90 at another.

Advanced Taster

oops, posted in the old thread.

Passed on 3 WTKS pewter tops from 01 at $43 a piece. Picked up one but will go back for the others later.