Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

Passed on a bottle of 4Rs LE SmB 2011. may go back and get it so I can compare with the LE 2012.

Enthusiast

Passed on some Bulleit 10, JPS 18, ER17 '10, THH '09, FR LE SmB 2011, OFBB '12 in my searching today.

Connoisseur

Yesterday passed on '12 FR's LE SB for $100, and WTAS for $130. I loves me some of the Four Roses, but a hundo is just too much. The American Spirit is a total unknown, so I passed.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    Yesterday passed on '12 FR's LE SB for $100, and WTAS for $130. I loves me some of the Four Roses, but a hundo is just too much. The American Spirit is a total unknown, so I passed.
    I would have passed on both of those for those prices.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

I saw the new EH Taylor Small Batch BIB for 39.99, but have had trouble finding any reviews. Has anyone here had it?
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Guru

I'd like to here more about that one as well, the price is getting down to my curiosity range.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I'd like to here more about that one as well, the price is getting down to my curiosity range.
    I've got a bottle and I probably won't be getting another one. I've had a couple pours and its got some interesting spices to it, but to me its dry and chalky. I found some sweeter notes with a little water. It's still a new bottle though so I'm hoping that it will open up some.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    I saw the new EH Taylor Small Batch BIB for 39.99, but have had trouble finding any reviews. Has anyone here had it?
    It's not the most complex whiskey I've tried, but it does have a lot going on and tastes very good. If you've had the Tornado or Barrel Proof, you'll know roughly what to expect from the profile. I think the price is about right and picked up a second bottle.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    It hasn't gotten much love around here, but I really like it. The color is amazing. It has to be the darkest 7 year old I've seen. The nose isn't special, but the palette is oily and very much Buffalo Trace, but on a good night I get some woody, dark cherry, Stagg-like notes, along with a touch of the Old Taylor butterscotch.

It's been almost a year since I've had the Tornado, so I can't compare the two. I had refused to pay $75 for any of the previous editions, but they got me at this price. I'll definitely be picking up more of these.

-Steve

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    It hasn't gotten much love around here, but I really like it. The color is amazing. It has to be the darkest 7 year old I've seen. The nose isn't special, but the palette is oily and very much Buffalo Trace, but on a good night I get some woody, dark cherry, Stagg-like notes, along with a touch of the Old Taylor butterscotch.

It's been almost a year since I've had the Tornado, so I can't compare the two. I had refused to pay $75 for any of the previous editions, but they got me at this price. I'll definitely be picking up more of these.

-Steve
    Thats really good to hear. I have also been considering picking one up and I think you just convinced me. I would love to find something with more than a touch of the butterscotch though. Guess I could just buy some of the candy and put it in there myself. LOL!
    Richard