Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Passed up a ton of decanters today, a full set of McCormick Elvis, a McCormick train, a handful of Dants, a beam 2 bridges and a ton of Ezra Brooks of various shapes one that I remember was a gun

Also passed up wild turkey Kentucky spirit from 2001
    Those McCormick decanters aren't very good (and certainly the most common brand of bourbon in decanters I see), but that WTKS on the other hand...

What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    Those McCormick decanters aren't very good (and certainly the most common brand of bourbon in decanters I see), but that WTKS on the other hand...
    Good to know not that i was even remotely tempted to purchase them... I don't know enough about WT products to make an informed purchase so I left them, they are in an area with a bunch of older rare breeds so A bit of research is in order

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Passed up a ton of decanters today, a full set of McCormick Elvis, a McCormick train, a handful of Dants, a beam 2 bridges and a ton of Ezra Brooks of various shapes one that I remember was a gun

Also passed up wild turkey Kentucky spirit from 2001
    Some of those older Dants are very good. I would only worry if the decanter leached anything into the contents. Ceramic is questionable.

Guru

Some of those older Dants are very good indeed.

Advanced Taster

Passed up some Russel's Reserve. Anyone have a review if it's worth the purchase?
    Women without whiskey...
    Women without whiskey...
    Whiskey's hard to beat.
    - Drive By Truckers

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    Michter's SB 20 year @ $150 (That would be a record for me, for a single bottle)
    Update on the above. I went back to the store today to confirm what I had seen, given the response here. I misread the price tag, which was printed with a tag maker running out of ink. The actual price was $449.95, and the left hand side of the leading four was almost illegible, which is why I thought it was 149.95. Checked a couple of other bottles, and noted the same problem with a couple of things that I thought started with "8", and were actually "9"-something. Passed because I can buy 4 bottles of Pappy 15 for that, with enough left over for a Breckenridge.

On a very high shelf were two bottles of Ardbeg Galileo for $119 each. Passed, as I don't know that one, though I tasted it later. May go back.

At another store, passed on 2X Baby Saz. Don't drink much rye.
    Last edited by SFS; 03-06-2013 at 18:33. Reason: forgot the Saz

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    On a very high shelf were two bottles of Ardbeg Galileo for $119 each. Passed, as I don't know that one, though I tasted it later. May go back.
    I would pass. The price is about $20 higher than what most places have it for. Additionally, it is just not a very good whiskey - and I am a huge Ardbeg fan.

Guru

Passed up some Kentucky Deluxe and Bourbon Deluxe if I'm not mistaken about the name. They didn't have any place lower than the bottom shelf (since there arent' basements in TX.)

Connoisseur

PHC12 for $90 out the door. After my spending spree last weekend I had to pass. If you want it ill tell you where it is

Guru

JPS 17yr. @ $130.00 a bottle. The asshole that runs the store sold me a bottle yesterday @ $90.00 (which is MSRP) and commented on how it had been sitting there since 2009. When I went back today to grab a couple more for someone else he greeted me with a smile and said "You should have bought more yesterday...the price just went up!" It's not like I'm a new customer either. I told him I wouldn't spend my money there anymore and he said "that's understandable" without hesitation. I was so mad I could barely see straight.

Then I drove to another store and picked up a couple for $95. Now I feel better having done my good deed for the day without getting bent over in the process.

I think we need to start a thread with a list of places NOT to shop.

Also passed up (different store):

WSR 7yr. from '06 1 liter x 8 @ $20
    WSR 7yr. from '06 handle x 5 @ $30