Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Passed up good ol' FR1B at $28 a bottle simply because of the amount of single malt scotch I was buying at the time. Heretical, I know!
    Kind of twisted logic, but understandable considering the circumstances.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I just picked up a bottle of it an hour ago, and after lemon-pepper, The Boss, and Ranchilada Wings, 6 different beers, a Wild Turkey, Maker's, and 2 cigars...I can tell you...that...it's....OK!!!!!!!
    Are you back on your health kick again, Joe? Sounds like an eventful evening!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

It's amazing that after thanksgiving none of my places had anything and now in the past two days I've turned down THH, Willet 21, FR LE SmB, and Parkers 6th 68.95%. My wallet is going to be quite thin once I make some decisions. Also saw some EWSB 2003 and 111 Whistlepig for the first time.

Guru

Considered but passed on a 1L bottle of the Dickel Rye today. Seemed overly spendy at $42 (although this is typically a more expensive store). Might look for a 750ml in one of the bigger and usually less expensive locations.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dementedavenger View Post
    Passed on two bottles of JPS18 Batch #17 today. Shelf price was $93.99, but after taxes in Washington that equals $116.09.
    WTH kind of sales tax rate you got there??? I thought I paid a huge rate @ 9.75%...but, $22 & change?...#%*&#*^!!! Holy Cow!!! Not sure I could afford to drink there...or have to drink cheap vodka.
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 01-12-2013 at 19:43.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    WTH kind of sales tax rate you got there??? I thought I paid a huge rate @ 9.75%...but, $22 & change?...#%*&#*^!!! Holy Cow!!! Not sure I could afford to drink there...or have to drink cheap vodka.
    20.5% plus a $3.77 per liter tax that's pro-rated ($2.83 per 750ml). This is the result of deregulating the state out of the business through a boondoggle law that Costco and Kroger, among others, promoted to voters last year. The taxes are so high in order to make up for the lost revenue that the state previously generated by controlling the distribution and sale of all liquor.

What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

Passed on a ton of Jeffers Creek 6 yr 80 proof.. The light yellow color was very uninspiring and a bunch if willett 7 yr bourbon at $47.77 before tax I didn't see the value in it

Guru

What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

The taxes are so high in order to make up for the lost revenue that the state previously generated by controlling the distribution and sale of all liquor.
    I think the taxes have always been that high (not that it sucks any less) - the price increases are really coming from the distributors right now.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 01-13-2013 at 06:38.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

passed on the Dickel Rye and Bulleit 10yr. Got to crack a bottle of the Bulleit for sampling purposes with the manager, another reason to make friends with your whiskey monger, decent, but nothing special to get excited over. Pretty one dimensional to me.

Also passed on the Costco Kirkland, and anything else they had. while the prices are good, the standard selection does nothing for me. But the do have some wines that strike my interest.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Passed on two bottles of JPS18 Batch #17 today. Shelf price was $93.99, but after taxes in Washington that equals $116.09. It's my understanding that the SW juice is Batch #13 and below. I have a bottle of Batch #8 and, truth be told, I have not be very impressed by it. Also, I paid a total of $77.18 for that bottle, so paying a 50% premium from the price I already paid for something I'm not a big fan of doesn't make much sense.
    is this true? I've never heard this. Does the label still say "Aged in SW Barrels" on batches after 13?