Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Get well soon friend.
    Thank you. I am trying!
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Novice

30 bottles of Jefferson Presidential Select 18 at the Prospect Party Center in Prospect, KY for, wait for it........., $119.00. I'm drinking a glass of this bourbon right now from a bottle purchased for $90. While it's very nice, I'm not sure that I replace it for $90, let alone $119.00.

Bunker that.

Guru

There's some sort of feeding frenzy that develops around fancy bottles with high prices that depends more on clever marketing than the actual quality of the whisky.

There's some sort of feeding frenzy that develops around fancy bottles with high prices that depends more on clever marketing than the actual quality of the whisky.
    Its actually a quality bourbon. Not sure if it is $119 good but they will sell every one of those eventually.

With wine, raising the price or an older, sought after high scoring vintage is acceptable but in bourbon it is gouging. I guess with wines, that older high scoring vintage is better than it was on the day it was released which justifies the price increase more than a no longer in production sought after bourbon.

Virtuoso

What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Its actually a quality bourbon. Not sure if it is $119 good but they will sell every one of those eventually.

With wine, raising the price or an older, sought after high scoring vintage is acceptable but in bourbon it is gouging. I guess with wines, that older high scoring vintage is better than it was on the day it was released which justifies the price increase more than a no longer in production sought after bourbon.
    It's true, but I feel you're being a little diplomatic. When something is finitely limited every reduction in the market creates an increased value in the remaining stock. I'm not saying it makes JPS18 (or any similar) a $120 bottle today, but you're right to say they will all sell at that price eventually.

Guru

That wasn't quite my point Eric. Would the same whisky in a simple screw cap bottle with a plain Castle Brands label sell for $90.00 ?

Connoisseur

That wasn't quite my point Eric. Would the same whisky in a simple screw cap bottle with a plain Castle Brands label sell for $90.00 ?
    That argument could be made about any fancy packaged whiskey. All I know is that 6 months, or a year, or whenever, when the $300+ PVW23 & $90(or even $120) JPS18 is nowhere to be found, people will be saying, "I should have bought more".

One good thing about control state Ohio is that there is no supply and demand price gouging. It is what it is, the retailers can't raise the price because of dwindling supply. In fact, when WTR101 was phasing out for the 81, Ohio clearance priced the 101, $17.25 in my county.

WTRR Barrel Proof, ER17, T H Handy, Vintage 17, 16 year old BMH, Willett Rye, and 5 and 8 year old Willetts. I'm trying to save my bourbon money for the sampler.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

I know the feeling Joe, first time I visited Bardstown I left with several cases in the trunk.

Connoisseur

I know the feeling Joe, first time I visited Bardstown I left with several cases in the trunk.
    Field Trip!

http://www.visitbardstown.com/tourism/bourbon.html
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway