Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 351
  1. #321
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    562

    Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Get well soon friend.
    Thank you. I am trying!
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

  2. #322
    Novice
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, KY
    Posts
    9

    Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

    30 bottles of Jefferson Presidential Select 18 at the Prospect Party Center in Prospect, KY for, wait for it........., $119.00. I'm drinking a glass of this bourbon right now from a bottle purchased for $90. While it's very nice, I'm not sure that I replace it for $90, let alone $119.00.

    Bunker that.

  3. #323
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    10,683

    Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

    There's some sort of feeding frenzy that develops around fancy bottles with high prices that depends more on clever marketing than the actual quality of the whisky.

  4. #324

    Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    There's some sort of feeding frenzy that develops around fancy bottles with high prices that depends more on clever marketing than the actual quality of the whisky.
    Its actually a quality bourbon. Not sure if it is $119 good but they will sell every one of those eventually.

    With wine, raising the price or an older, sought after high scoring vintage is acceptable but in bourbon it is gouging. I guess with wines, that older high scoring vintage is better than it was on the day it was released which justifies the price increase more than a no longer in production sought after bourbon.

  5. #325
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    1,408

    What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

    Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Its actually a quality bourbon. Not sure if it is $119 good but they will sell every one of those eventually.

    With wine, raising the price or an older, sought after high scoring vintage is acceptable but in bourbon it is gouging. I guess with wines, that older high scoring vintage is better than it was on the day it was released which justifies the price increase more than a no longer in production sought after bourbon.
    It's true, but I feel you're being a little diplomatic. When something is finitely limited every reduction in the market creates an increased value in the remaining stock. I'm not saying it makes JPS18 (or any similar) a $120 bottle today, but you're right to say they will all sell at that price eventually.

  6. #326
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    10,683

    Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

    That wasn't quite my point Eric. Would the same whisky in a simple screw cap bottle with a plain Castle Brands label sell for $90.00 ?

  7. #327
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    794

    Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    That wasn't quite my point Eric. Would the same whisky in a simple screw cap bottle with a plain Castle Brands label sell for $90.00 ?
    That argument could be made about any fancy packaged whiskey. All I know is that 6 months, or a year, or whenever, when the $300+ PVW23 & $90(or even $120) JPS18 is nowhere to be found, people will be saying, "I should have bought more".

    One good thing about control state Ohio is that there is no supply and demand price gouging. It is what it is, the retailers can't raise the price because of dwindling supply. In fact, when WTR101 was phasing out for the 81, Ohio clearance priced the 101, $17.25 in my county.

  8. #328
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,192

    Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

    WTRR Barrel Proof, ER17, T H Handy, Vintage 17, 16 year old BMH, Willett Rye, and 5 and 8 year old Willetts. I'm trying to save my bourbon money for the sampler.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

  9. #329
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    10,683

    Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

    I know the feeling Joe, first time I visited Bardstown I left with several cases in the trunk.

  10. #330
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    562

    Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I know the feeling Joe, first time I visited Bardstown I left with several cases in the trunk.
    Field Trip!

    http://www.visitbardstown.com/tourism/bourbon.html
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What did you pass up today? Autumn '12
    By Tucker in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 384
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 15:40
  2. What did you pass up today? Summer 2012
    By Tico in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 222
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 11:49
  3. What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter/Spring 2012
    By CaptainQ in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 564
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 06:18
  4. What Did You Pass Up Today? Fall 2010-Winter/Spring 2011
    By fishnbowljoe in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 321
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 14:20
  5. What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?
    By funknik in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 321
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 10:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top