Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

Since I indeed passed something up, and I enjoyed reading and participating in the Autumn thread, here is the winter edition.

I passed up on a VSOF from the Bourbon Heritage Collection, not realizing it was SW juice. I'll be heading back for that one.

Connoisseur

Re: What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

Got the TPS e-mail. Passed on all that Pappy (but picked up a VWFRR).

Taster

Passed up on some Weller 12 year, from the same place I purchased some Old Grand Dad 114 and some BIB. They had a dozen bottles of the Weller 12, for $31.99. That's steep if you are anywhere else, but in my state it's tied for the cheapest I've found it. Also, the dozen bottles they had was more than any 3 other places combined seemed to have. I've never found more then 3 bottles sitting on a shelf.

I also passed up on some Parker's Heritage Collection (last bottle), which I've been wanting to try, but at $79.99 and it being just after x-mas I had to pass.

They also had a 20 year old bourbon that I've never seen out on a shelf but for the life of me I have just forgotten the name of as I am typing (Wasn't Pappy). [edit: I think it was Hirsch 20yr]. Again, would have loved to pulled the trigger but cost was limiting me on this trip.

I only would have gotten out the credit card if i ran across any BTAC/Pappy.

~SW
    Last edited by Smokewagon; 12-28-2012 at 19:09.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Got the TPS e-mail. Passed on all that Pappy (but picked up a VWFRR).
    Just happened to check my email at 11:58 am today and lo and behold one of my favorite (online) stores was releasing some VWFRR. sweet!!!! Except their stupid website kept kicking out my order because my security code didn't Match my debit card number. STUPID. Yes I checked for user error. Same card and code has been used many times on the same site with no issues. Really frustrating. Only solution was to close the site and delete the email. Problem solved
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Just happened to check my email at 11:58 am today and lo and behold one of my favorite (online) stores was releasing some VWFRR. sweet!!!! Except their stupid website kept kicking out my order because my security code didn't Match my debit card number. STUPID. Yes I checked for user error. Same card and code has been used many times on the same site with no issues. Really frustrating. Only solution was to close the site and delete the email. Problem solved
    I actually had the same problem. Finally took on the third or fourth try. The problem I have now is that when I look at the order on the website the VW isn't on the invoice but still shows the price as if it was. I hope it is only because they took all the VW off of the website and I still get my bottle.

Connoisseur

I passed up on Handy, EC20, HP Thor, ER17. All were overpriced in my opinion, but I was in NYC which seems to have just crazy pricing unless you find get lucky and find an out-of-touch owner who happens to have amazing dusties on the shelves. Passing up bottles is nothing new, got to be selective in this booming bourbon market.

Disciple

What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    I passed up on Handy, EC20, HP Thor, ER17. All were overpriced in my opinion, but I was in NYC which seems to have just crazy pricing unless you find get lucky and find an out-of-touch owner who happens to have amazing dusties on the shelves. Passing up bottles is nothing new, got to be selective in this booming bourbon market.
    Aww come on, Thor isn't overpriced, they have to pay for all that packaging somehow.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Aww come on, Thor isn't overpriced, they have to pay for all that packaging somehow.
    Highland Park has never impressed me, and the sight of that package on the shelf made me think of Viking kings being buried at sea with their burning ships.

Enthusiast

I visited a couple local liquor stores that were new to me, but not many surprises in the bourbon section other than a couple bottles of Smooth Ambler VOS 11 yrs. First time I've seen the VOS. Also passed on some BMH, WTRB, Larceny, Weller 12, OWA, WSR, and Willett Pot Still which are all fairly easy to find around here.

Guru

Chicago is definitely not a Bourbon desert.