Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pappy's Lost Stash - '68 SW Old Fitz rebottling project as a Xmas present

Hi SB,

I thought I'd share this little follow up story after getting my hands on two amazing gallon bottles of SW Old Fitz from '67 and '68. As expected, getting a gallon bottle to pour was a SERIOUSLY hard proposition, and after seeing the guys down at the homebrew store, I decided to "decant" the gallon into 5 separate 750mls for easier transport and to help divvy up the stash between me and Pops. As my Dad is a software developer and hobbyist Photoshop Guru, we took it one step further and created our own custom label and bought fancy store-quality bottle sealer/twist caps as well as professional label paper....here are the results.

The Latin translates as "the tail drags lightly on the ground," and it's an homage to my Grandpappy, as he crafted our family's crest with a Roadrunner during his time in the military....long story of why the Roadrunner, but suffice it to say, it's for a good reason. He ran around Japan as a military photographer and was also a Corporal in field administration, but there's more to it than that. I'm just impressed my Pops was able to get the shield/crest design to look so great.

And yes...we did immediately crack the lowest filled one and had 2 very healthy pours each....oh MAN, is that whiskey good. It's hot initially, but the flavor of SW juice lingers for days. It is some of the finest whiskey I've ever had...and I brought 2 bottles home for my bunker. The cork on the gallon bottle smelled like it had been coated in maple syrup!

We are saving the bottle from '67 for now, as we may do a second round of bottling....but we'll see.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Re: Pappy's Lost Stash - '68 SW Old Fitz rebottling project as a Xmas present

Now that is wicked cool man. BRAVO.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Virtuoso

That's pretty sweet! Great job!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Congratulations -- that is one of the coolest things I've seen on this forum (which is saying something).

Guru

Pappy's Lost Stash - '68 SW Old Fitz rebottling project as a Xmas present

That's rad! What a great story & experience!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Nicely done, sir!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Really, really, nice work.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

First rate Brendan, beautifully executed and a great story.

Thanks, everybody, so kind of you! It was really fun to walk out of the back room, holding a gallonn bottle, to see my dad's face when I handed him a gallon bottle with a big red bow on the top. We were such nerds about not wanting to compromise the flavor of the whiskey when rebottling it, so we rinsed the bottles twice in the dishwasher and then dropped a little stoli vodka in there afterwards to give them thorough sanitization....It was a blessing to get to spend quality time on a project like this with my Dad.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    ...It was a blessing to get to spend quality time on a project like this with my Dad.
    All the better. Great work!