Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Johnny Walker breaks tradition

Johnny Walker, famous for its Red, Black, Gold and Blue label blends has broken tradition. They've released a Green label Single Malt, priced around $50.

My local liquor store had a tasting of the single malt but I missed it. The manager says it's selling nicely and saved an empty bottle with a few drops so people could get an idea of its nose. It has a nice, subtly floral aroma.

I wonder if other established Scotch blends, (i.e. Chivas), will follow suit with single malts.

Omar

Connoisseur

Re: Johnny Walker breaks tradition

If it had a green label, are you sure this wasn't their "PureMalt" bottling, which is all malt, but vatted?

Connoisseur

Just another quick followup with a URL--did it look like this?

http://www.johnniewalker.com.au/prod....cfm?product=5

Connoisseur

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's it, 15 yrs old. But this is no duty free shop. It's my local liquor store. What do you think?

Omar

Enthusiast

JW Green has definately been a duty free vatted malt. It would be nice if it were available in the US. It seems much more natural to me that the major blends would introduce vats rather than singles. Chivas also has their centenial of malts.

Connoisseur

That's awesome that you might be able to get some in a non-duty-free setting! What do I think? I think it's definitely your responsibility to DRINK IT MAN, DRINK IT!!!

The only other time I've heard of being able to buy this in a traditional store was a while back in the thread about JW Blue--there must've been a 200ml 4-pack available with Black, Gold, Blue, and Green at Costco(?)

Connoisseur

Yes, I saw the 4-pack also and was tempted to buy it just to try the Blue.
    Maybe the duty free shops didn't sell as projected and they're moving this stuff out to retailers?

Omar

Connoisseur

Omar--

Did you ever get yourself a bottle of Green Label? I'd really be interested in your impressions!

Guru

When I went to Canada in February of 2002, I picked up a Johnny Walker Collection only because it had this Pure Malt bottle in it. I had never seen it in the states so I said what the hell, let me grab it. I got the whole set with all 4 bottles for something like $70 bucks. It has 4 200ml bottles of Black, Gold and Blue label and a bottle of the Pure Malt 15 YO. I'll include pics of it. On the inside it describes each bottle and gives character notes. I am not sure if you will be able to read them from the pic but for the pure malt it says:

Character: Beautifully balanced , smooth highland malt.
    Colour: Bright mild-gold with bright amber lights.
    Nose: Fresh, Heavy honey and salty.
    Palate: Smooth and well balanced. Fruity with hints of orange, sandalwood and sherry-wood.
    Finish: Swift and clean with a pleasant, light toffee aroma.

As you can see I have never opened them since I'm not really a scotch fan, but I'm sure one day in my old age they'll get popped.

Oh, and I have seen and still see the 4 packs sold here in the US but the Pure Malt is replaced with Red Label... And the set goes for almost $100

Attached Images Attached Images

Taster

IMHO, Johnnie Walker is swill. No offense to those that like it, but if you are going to drink that, there are tons of fantastic single malts on the market.

Instead of the Black label, drink Laphroaig, Johnnie Black's primary ingredient. Instead of the Gold, treat yourself to any number of fantastic 21-30 year old single malts. Drink Dalmore 21, 30, Highland Park 18, Laphroaig 15, Bomore 22 yr, Macallan 18 yr, etc, etc.

If you are going to drink the Blue, skip it and try Laphoraig 30 year, Macallan 25 yr, Auchentoshan 31 yr, Balvenie 25 yr or 30 yr, Bowmore 30 yr, Glen Moray 1964, Glenmorangie Cotes de Nuit, Claret wood, 1971, Highland Park 25 yr, or Springbank 30 yr. These are all better IMO.