Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Guru

Re: Johnny Walker breaks tradition

Yeah, in the description on the package I have it does say "...it includes some malt whiskies of over 50 years in age..." Hmmm, I wonder just what percentage that really is especially for the price the blue fetches...

Connoisseur

It's interesting that this review calls Gold Label a blend of highland malts--because I finally broke down and got a bottle, and to my palate it's absolutely SCREAMING Islay. And I mean a serious Islay like Laphroig or Lagavulin.

I just can't bring myself to invest in the Blue. I don't want to resurrect the discussion of malt vs. blends, but I just can't imagine ANY blend being worth it.

Apprentice

I just can't bring myself to invest in the Blue. I don't want to resurrect the discussion of malt vs. blends, but I just can't imagine ANY blend being worth it.

I have had the Gold and the Blue and many other blends and while some are quite excellent(the Cutty Sark 25 for example), when you get to that amount of money($185 for Blue), I think you hit it right on, it's not worth it. If you were to try the Blue along with some very good single malts, as I have done, it just can't stand up to them. On it's own it is a very good dram to contemplate, but for the price you could get many single malts that will really blow you away(and a whole lot of bourbons). When you get to the Campbeltown Loch 25 at $50-70, or the Gold, then you have a blend that is worth it's price.

Disciple

that will really blow you away(and a whole lot of bourbons)
    BLASPHEMY!!

when you get to that amount of money($185 for Blue),

Hmmm does it really though. I mean for $185 I can get 4 bottles of Kentucky Spirit, 3 Bottles of George T. Stagg or Eagle Rare 17, or almost 1/2 a case of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. No matter how good the single malt, thats gonna be a tough sell. If you are comparing 1 bottle to 1 bottle though the only bourbons I know that even get up there are Distillers Masterpiece & Hirsch 20 year, and you probably could find a malt better than those. . .

Tom (Glad Bourbon is more budget friendly. . .)C

Imo..

Macallan 18 is better booze if you're NOT a peat lover, JW Gold is better booze if you just want classy and smooth, it's both. I just finished a bottle in less time than any other since my youth.. Smooth is the word. Evaporation factor was incredible, I don't recommend it for hoarding. It is EASY to drink.

But, the JW Blue? Ha. There's many better ways to spend your money. At that price, there's world class cognacs, single malts, and bourbons to choose from.

It's to impress those who are impressed by price, and no other excuse fits its manufacture.

Good Booze, it AIN'T, for the dollars it costs.

The JW Gold, is in fact, a much much better value.

If you want to taste what GOOD liquour tastes like, Van Winkle 20 yr old, or Daniel Bouju Brut De Fut Royal, or Old Hotalings, (ALL of which you can buy for about the same price as a bottle of JW Blue, considering store prices) ..

provide great examples of styles NOT scotch. For Scotch Single Malt, Laphroaig 10 yr Cask Strength (Islay) and Macallan 18 (Sherried), and Balvenie Single Barrel (bourbon casked) .. are all three available for not MUCH more'n one bottle of the JW Blue..

And a heck of a lot better deal. Don't be fooled by hype. You don't make good whisky by blending. You make bad whisky better, and you STRETCH good whisky.

Best.. is handmade, one batch at a time, by somebody who cares more about the result, than the money it'll make.

No other way works.
    Last edited by mitchshrader; 06-14-2006 at 12:27.

Virtuoso
    I'm of two minds regarding blending. On one side, it's hard to argue with a finely crafted "single," regardless of its origin. However, skillful blending can produce superb results (like the Compass Box Scotches, or many Irish whiskeys).

I recently gave my brother-in-law (a dyed-in-the-wool SMS drinker who usually adds ice) a sample of Compass Box's Asyla blend - and he liked it a lot. Not only that, he liked it even better neat.

Straight/single or blend? My answer is, "Yes."
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur
    Bull is just one of the words that come to mind. There are great blended whiskies and there are ones that are swill, the same as any class of drink.

You ned to find better places to shop because Blue can be found for not that much more then what Macallan 18 is bringing. I got my last one for $135 in my hands and the Mac was $114. Tell me where I can get the other 2 bottles for an extra $40 or so?

Of course, this is your opinion and you're entitled to it but don't state it as gospel.

AVB

Quote Originally Posted by mitchshrader
    Good Booze, it AIN'T, for the dollars it costs.

The JW Gold, is in fact, a much much better value.
    For Scotch Single Malt, Laphroaig 10 yr Cask Strength (Islay) and Macallan 18 (Sherried), and Balvenie Single Barrel (bourbon casked) .. are all three available for not MUCH more'n one bottle of the JW Blue..

And a heck of a lot better deal. Don't be fooled by hype. You don't make good whisky by blending. You make bad whisky better, and you STRETCH good whisky.

Best.. is handmade, one batch at a time, by somebody who cares more about the result, than the money it'll make.

No other way works.
    Illuminati in training

Advanced Taster
    I rate a geat blend alongside any great spirit.The problem with some of them isn't the corn based whisky, but the quality of the single malt put into them. A lot of the time, the best malt is saved for single malts, and elements of the blend are matured in very old worn-out barrels, especially in Scotland.