Hello all. I'm in the Tampa Bay area, and discovered this site several months ago, but foolishly did not join or use it as the resource it obviously is. (It would have saved me some time and money.) However, some serious lurking over the past week convinced me to rectify both errors, so here I am.

In the past year, I came back to bourbon after a most-of-my-adult-life layoff. I drank it a bit in college, but always mixed, and abandoned it for vodka for a long time. After a very nice tequila bar opened in Houston (where I lived until this past February), I started exploring tequila, which reminded me that there is a whole universe of very fine (and sometimes complex) sipping liquors out there, many of them brown in color. One day at a liquor store, I picked up a bottle of WTRB on a whim, and was surprised at how much I liked bourbon. My search started there, and progressed through the typically available mid-shelf stuff (at Spec's, a very well-outfitted liquor chain in Texas). I didn't keep any tasting notes, just remembered what I liked and didn't, which I'll save for another thread. When I got here in Florida, I found a guy at a local store that seemed to know a lot about bourbon, so I branched out a bit, and that got me here.

I do have one question: My tasting so far has just been what I decided to buy at the time, with no pre-arranged plan. It was not methodical, and often didn't involve much side by side comparisons, as I would buy a bottle, finish it over a month or so, and try something new. Consequently, I am unable to see a pattern in what I like and don't like. For instance, I've not been able to establish definitively whether I lean towards the wheaters, or prefer the mashbills with higher amounts of rye, as I have found examples of both that I like, and examples of both that I don't. So my question is this: Is such an occurrence unusual? I can provide examples if that will help.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't thank josh and OscarV for the two whiskey trees. They have already been invaluable, and will continue to be as I progress in this journey. And now for a pour.