Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

New member down in sunny Florida

Hello all. I'm in the Tampa Bay area, and discovered this site several months ago, but foolishly did not join or use it as the resource it obviously is. (It would have saved me some time and money.) However, some serious lurking over the past week convinced me to rectify both errors, so here I am.

In the past year, I came back to bourbon after a most-of-my-adult-life layoff. I drank it a bit in college, but always mixed, and abandoned it for vodka for a long time. After a very nice tequila bar opened in Houston (where I lived until this past February), I started exploring tequila, which reminded me that there is a whole universe of very fine (and sometimes complex) sipping liquors out there, many of them brown in color. One day at a liquor store, I picked up a bottle of WTRB on a whim, and was surprised at how much I liked bourbon. My search started there, and progressed through the typically available mid-shelf stuff (at Spec's, a very well-outfitted liquor chain in Texas). I didn't keep any tasting notes, just remembered what I liked and didn't, which I'll save for another thread. When I got here in Florida, I found a guy at a local store that seemed to know a lot about bourbon, so I branched out a bit, and that got me here.

I do have one question: My tasting so far has just been what I decided to buy at the time, with no pre-arranged plan. It was not methodical, and often didn't involve much side by side comparisons, as I would buy a bottle, finish it over a month or so, and try something new. Consequently, I am unable to see a pattern in what I like and don't like. For instance, I've not been able to establish definitively whether I lean towards the wheaters, or prefer the mashbills with higher amounts of rye, as I have found examples of both that I like, and examples of both that I don't. So my question is this: Is such an occurrence unusual? I can provide examples if that will help.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't thank josh and OscarV for the two whiskey trees. They have already been invaluable, and will continue to be as I progress in this journey. And now for a pour.

Advanced Taster

Welcome to the board. I'm in Dunedin. What part of the Bay area are you located?

Enthusiast

Re: New member down in sunny Florida

Welcome "sunny Florida", from "snowy New Jersey". I'd rather be in sunny Florida...

First, if you think this site is going to save you money, you are sorely mistaken. Get ready for hoarding, premium bourbon buying, etc. Yes, you'll be more informed, but it will cost you.

As to your question, don't sweat the details. Try different bourbons out, wheaters, high rye, whatever. Frankly, I think you'll find what I found, which is that they are mostly all damn good. I may tilt towards wheaters, and away from really high rye, spicy bourbons, but I still love bourbons like OGD 114 and the various BT higher rye mashbill bourbons. It's all about the flavor for me. So just keep trying different bottles, and you may knock some brands or bottles out, but I think you'll find there are lots of good bourbons of differing makeup, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Guru

Hey SFS, welcome aboard. Can we like both rye and wheat recipe whiskies? Of course we can, when it comes to Bourbon a man can have many loves.

You're coming in at an already advanced level so I suggest you choose a bottle that you like and explore the other expressions within that brand.

Enthusiast

[QUOTE=scubadoo97;315317]Welcome to the board. I'm in Dunedin. What part of the Bay area are you located?[/QUOTE
    We should PM each other, though I'm not sure I have that capability yet as a newb. I'm VERY close to you, and I'm also a diver, in case your handle means you dive.

Guru

Welcome from not-sunny-Seattle :-)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Chain, I've read some of your posts, and am jealous of the scene in Seattle. I moved away about 8 years ago, after living there for 20 years. It's the only place that has really ever felt like home, and I will go back one day.

The state has gotten out of the control business, and some bars have a lot of bourbons. And I read something about a place in Issaquah? Man I wish I was still there - my last address before leaving for TX was basically downtown Issaquah. Great town.

Are they still paragliding off Tiger Mountain?

Virtuoso

Howdy and welcome from up in cold Michigan.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Yep... MtnDew suggested "Flat Iron" in Issaquah and I need to make it over since I'm in that part of the Eastside every week. There really are some great bars here and I try let the sales guys subsidize my whisky education. ;-)

The old State liquor store next to the Sports Authority on Gilman is still open and is now part of Capco Beverages (the other store is the old West Seattle State liquor store).

It's really quite neat watching those paragliders float around Tiger Mountain - I really love it up here (grew up in New Orleans) and kids get so excited when they see those paragliders.

Here's a shot one of my friends took from the launch last summer:

Honestly though, liquor prices are out of hand here in Washington - hopefully things calm down a little before you move back.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 12-28-2012 at 21:08.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Incredible sight, I would've done it when I was younger but if one of the kids went airborne today I'd probably have a heart attack.