Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Bought a bottle of Dickel #12 - Am confused

I understand what others mean when they say Dickel has a vitamin note but it's not something I find bothersome. The fact they keep the No. 12 at 90 proof gets a vote from me.

Guru

My experience with Dickel has been that it is just too smooth for my liking (doesn't have as much character to me as others for similar dough). But as many have pointed out - everyone's taste varies. I prefer Evan Williams neat over both Jim Beam and Jack Daniels (despite both of those outselling EW by a wide margin). I don't think that makes me wrong, nor are others right. Just different. I'd just keep trying new things - that's the most fun for me! I found that I didn't care for Pappy (not that it was bad, but I don't enjoy it as much as $40 bourbon). Be true to your taste. I think Joe has often said "If you're not having fun - you're doing it wrong!"
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    OK, I'll put it next on my list to buy. What's your take on the 4R Limited Edition SB? I haven't ever seen a bottle, much less tasted it.
    Well, I can't comment on it as I've never had it either. I got into bourbon right about a year ago, and I collect premium bottles for consumption whenever I get around to them so I have both limited edition bottlings for 2012 but haven't cracked one open yet. One thing to remember is that FR has 10 different recipes. The small batch is a melding of 4 of the recipes, and the single barrel is their OBSV recipe. The YL label is some melding of most or all the recipes (someone who knows can correct me here). The Limited Edition bottlings are "one offs" where they change yearly. This year the SB is an OESK recipe, and the SmB is a medling of 2 different aged OBSVs, an OESK, and an OBSK. My palette tends to enjoy higher rye whiskies, and the "B" signifies the higher rye mashbill (35%).

Enthusiast

I had a bottle of GD12 over the summer and in my experience it was a little off when I first opened it, but after it had 3 or 4 pours out of it and a week or so of sitting on the shelf, it opened up nicely and was really amazing. It just needed some time. Sometimes the best whiskeys require a little patience.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I agree with Thad, I think what you are tasting is what some here also recognize as the "vitamins" taste, meaning a distinctive taste and smell akin to that of the crunchy skin of a vitamin.
    An interesting way to put it. When I was a very young child my mother became a vitamin fiend; she made me take, among other things, brewer's yeast pills which I chewed up and swallowed. The first time I was able to try Dickel No. 12, a couple of years ago, that's the first thing that hit me - that thick note of brewer's yeast, both in the flavor and the aroma. I found it a bit off-putting and it took me quite a while to warm to it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Here is the original posting suggesting a vitamins-like taste, back on April 2, 2003:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...light=vitamins

The ensuing discussion was very interesting, eliciting a rare, and concurring, post from Jim Butler in March of that year!

Gary

Connoisseur

Dickel as I have said before is one of the best things on the market. I get the vitamins taste, and I like it. I think is is a combination of the high corn content in the mash way they use their charcoal. I would love to taste their white dog to see what part the charcoal adds.

A good point Tom. I know Mike Veach has said that the distinctive estery note in JD can be tasted in the white dog. I would doubt it is created by the charcoal, as opposed to the sooty element, but who knows.

Gary

Enthusiast

Thought I'd give an update. 35 days of air time improved this situation greatly. The nose is still overwhelmingly vitamin, plus basic "bourbon-y" aroma, but there is none of the plastic/vinyl thing going on, and no baby powder. On the palate, the vitamin taste is not nearly as prevalent as it is in the nose - what I get is mostly (simple) whiskey. It's not complex at all, and it's just the slightest bit sweet, and smooth. I finished the pour with no complaints. The vitamin thing could be a bit off putting, but it could also be something to become attached to for some folks. I don't think I will become attached to it, but I can see how it's interesting enough for some people to like it, as a smell.

So I find the whisky itself is now drinkable, and I will reach for the bottle occasionally, when I want something a little different. Still don't think I would purchase another bottle, but this one will not go down the drain.

Interesting and fair comments, thanks for this. One thing I would suggest is, try another bottle, maybe the black label. Each bottle can be different and even atypical. GD comes I believe in smaller bottles too. You may even find it useful to mingle a 200 ml or two with what you bought.

Gary