Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Bourbons with Caramel and/or Butterscotch flavor in their profile

Hey folks,

I did a search on the forums and only came up with one thread from about two years ago asking a similar question, so I figured it would be okay to pose the question again.

I'm looking for bourbons with a sweet spot. The most recent example I've had in my cabinet is ORVW 10/107, but I'm hoping to find a more regular and hopefully less expensive 'everyday pour'. I think OWA may kinda-sorta fall into this category, but it's been awhile so I don't know if my memory is to be trusted.

Quick story --- Back when I first got into bourbon (and the only two I had at that point were BT and MM), I ordered some Woodford Reserve at a nice restaurant. It tasted of butterscotch and vanilla... it was delicious, even my wife liked it! Then I bought a bottle the next week, and it had basically NONE of that character at all! I don't know how the flavor could be so different... Did the bartender pour me a different bourbon? Or maybe it spent so much time in the opened bottle at the bar that it 'opened up'?. Did the atmposhere/food affect my palate? I have no idea.

So anyway --- are there any regularly available pours that feature that caramel or butterscotch sweetness? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ADDED: Sorry if that doesn't read too smoothly --- kids are freaking NUTS today!!! Can't look away from 'em for more then 10 seconds at a time.
    Last edited by JPBoston; 12-30-2012 at 10:07.

Enthusiast

Re: Bourbons with Caramel and/or Butterscotch flavor in their profile

As to less expensive everyday pours with this profile, I don't have exhaustive knowledge, but I would say Weller 12 and Larceny are two great options. OWA to me doesn't fit this profile, as it is more 'in your face' flavor backed by the proof, not so much caramely. Obviously there are the more expensive options like the Van Winkles, Vintage 17 wheater (huge caramel on the finish), etc. I really like this profile as well.

Oh, and my kids are driving me nuts today also. Just went sledding though with a few fresh inches of snow from yesterday, and that broke things up a bit. Guessing you don't have that option in Arizona...
    Last edited by jeffrey r; 12-30-2012 at 10:22.

Agreed that Weller 12 yr is probably best option. I also find these flavor profiles, though less predominantly, in EW single barrel and good ole Buffalo Trace.

Advanced Taster

I would add Elmer T. Lee as well.

Enthusiast

Try Old Charter 10

Guru

JP when I started reading your thread my first thoughts were Elmer Lee and Old Charter 101, Lee because Mr. Elmer designed it to hit on the sweeter caramel side of the spectrum and Charter because it is a low rye recipe that is more corn forward, thus sweeter to some.

Connoisseur

I recently tried a Willett 8 year wheated that was all toffee and caramel. Though not something I'd regularly reach for as I prefer a drier whiskey, it was enjoyable.

Guru

Overlooked the budget aspect of your post. Of course there's the 8 yr 80 prf Charter which costs less. Another consideration would be to sweeten up a regular Bourbon, Barton, Evan Williams, etc., by mixing them in a cocktail such as a Manhattan.

Virtuoso

In general, things in the 10-15 year range are most likely to have that sweet thickness you are after. This is the point where a bourbon picks up most of the carmalized sugar from the barrel, but has not yet picked up all the tannins and oakiness. I find Buffalo Trace to be the sweetest bourbons in general

My top recommendations would be Weller 12, AAA10yr and OC10. ETL is also recommended along side BT and ERSB.

EC12 and EWSB are also in the range and have similar flavors, but I find they have more of a grassy taste alongside the sweetness.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

I would put most of the BT wheated line in this category as way of the W12 and Lot B as a caramel and butterscotch forward pour.I usually get these notes from the older wheated products more than those of which have less age.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski