Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Bourbons with Caramel and/or Butterscotch flavor in their profile

Thanks for all the quick replies!

Elmer T Lee --- YES, I've read very positive tasting notes that seem to echo what you guys are saying. But of course, can't get it here in AZ (Gonna have to beg Total Wine will import for me -- read too many good things about this one).

Old Charter 101`or 10yr -- Would definitely fit in my budget (I just meant 'less expensive than Van Winkle products), but it's another brand that isn't available here.

BT --- You guys are right about that, though I get more vanilla than Butterscotch and/or caramel. My last bottle of BT was really dry, maybe that's why I forgot to mention it.

AAA 10 yr -- Of course, the only Ancient Age I can find in stores here is the super-cheap version, based on reviews here I've stayed away.

Weller 12yr --- I actually have a bottle of this, but only had a pour or two of it a month ago. Don't remember much caramel/butterscotch, but I was fighting off a cold at the time. Maybe the SB blend (which I've been saving it for, until I grab a bottle of OWA) will bring out that thicker caramel type profile.

The overall theme here seems to be that AZ is bigoted against this flavor profile.
    Last edited by JPBoston; 12-30-2012 at 13:34.

Connoisseur

Isn't the profile of SW juice nicely laden with butterscotch?
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Guru

HP I remember Stitzel-Weller whiskies more for their balance rather than for any stand out characteristic. Of course a wheat recipe whisky has more going for it in sweetness (corn + wheat) than rye and some tasters find that appealing, but so much of the flavor comes from the wood that maturity, barrel proof entry and placement in the warehouse may well have more to do with our taste sensations than grain alone.

Then there's the yeast influence but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    HP I remember Stitzel-Weller whiskies more for their balance rather than for any stand out characteristic. Of course a wheat recipe whisky has more going for it in sweetness (corn + wheat) than rye and some tasters find that appealing, but so much of the flavor comes from the wood that maturity, barrel proof entry and placement in the warehouse may well have more to do with our taste sensations than grain alone.

Then there's the yeast influence but that's a whole 'nother thread.
    Good point on the balance aspect. I personally don't have any reliable experience with much SW juice but thought I had heard the butterscotch was a characteristic.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Guru

Sometimes folks find what they want in a whisky HP. I read posts on other whisky boards praising the rye spiciness of the legendary 13 year old, single barrel Bush Pilot whisky from Canada. It was good stuff, I got three bottles before they were taken off the market. When I read tasting notes from some of the people who claim to have tasted it they apparently found what they wanted and were oblivious to the fact that it was a 100% corn whisky.

Advanced Taster

To the OP original question, I have also detected the strongest butterscotch notes in standard Woodford, but more in the nose than the palate. I think the nose is among the finest in all of bourbon, but Woodford's palate is not quite as good IMHO. I have found letting it air out brings out the butterscotch, and for my nose, 10 minutes of air time even brings the slightly inferior Old Forester nose up to Woodford's level. The first time I noticed this was at Churchill Downs when I got the last of a Woodford bottle that had been opened at least the night before, and my next drink was from a freshly opened bottle. Huge difference.

Guru

Sometimes I find walnut in a mature Bourbon, not everyone does.
    Last edited by squire; 12-30-2012 at 15:30.

Enthusiast

Not a bourbon, but Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian whiskey has a ton of butterscotch flavor imo. Much more than any bourbon.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by awachatz; 12-30-2012 at 16:05.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

JP, if you happen to run across an Ezra B Single Barrel 15 yr, you will find the most butterscotchy bourbon that I have ever tasted.

FWIW, going along with Awachatz's post...Like Forty Creek, I find Canadian whiskies in general, to have a goodly amount of butterscotch influence across distillery lines.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post

EC12 and EWSB are also in the range and have similar flavors, but I find they have more of a grassy taste alongside the sweetness.
    I enjoy the sweetness of the EC12 as an everyday pour. Its more of a brown sugar note for me.