Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Bourbons with Caramel and/or Butterscotch flavor in their profile

I'm sitting here with a pour of OWA and Weller 12 side by side for comparison and, after letting them sit for 20-30 minutes, I have to say the OWA has a sweeter caramel taste than the Weller 12. The Weller 12 has more wood overtones than the OWA and actually seems a little thinner. The reason for the side by side comparison was completely unrelated to the thread, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. Bourbon in general is known for a caramel like sweetness to some degree. Of course it can vary from brand to brand. Try them all! I have the ETL next on my list as well. Good luck with your hunt.

If anybody cares: the OWA is from circa 2009 bottling and the W12 is from 2011 I believe.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    JP, if you happen to run across an Ezra B Single Barrel 15 yr, you will find the most butterscotchy bourbon that I have ever tasted.

FWIW, going along with Awachatz's post...Like Forty Creek, I find Canadian whiskies in general, to have a goodly amount of butterscotch influence across distillery lines.
    Yikes! I didn't know there was already a Smokin' Joe on the site. Do I need to change my username?

Guru

Don't bother, doubt he'll even notice.

Guru

Speaking of which Joe, I didn't notice the butterscotch in the Ezra 15 so much as the wood. Wish I had another one to reevaluate that thought.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Yikes! I didn't know there was already a Smokin' Joe on the site. Do I need to change my username?
    Brotha from a different motha!!! Welcome, Joe!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HP12 View Post
    Isn't the profile of SW juice nicely laden with butterscotch?
    When I think if dusty bourbon with butterscotch qualities Old Taylor BIB from dsp 19 quickly tops my list. It's an unmistakable butterscotch bomb.

Connoisseur

Loving the discussion here, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    To the OP original question, I have also detected the strongest butterscotch notes in standard Woodford, but more in the nose than the palate. I think the nose is among the finest in all of bourbon, but Woodford's palate is not quite as good IMHO....
    That's exactly what I remember from the night I ordered WR at the resaurant, now that you're jogging my memory. The nose was incredibly butterscotch, but less so on the actual palate. Maybe I should give WR another shot one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    JP, if you happen to run across an Ezra B Single Barrel 15 yr, you will find the most butterscotchy bourbon that I have ever tasted.

FWIW, going along with Awachatz's post...Like Forty Creek, I find Canadian whiskies in general, to have a goodly amount of butterscotch influence across distillery lines.
    I can get Ezra Brooks 12 yr Small Batch... have you tried that? And I didn't realize Canadian whiskies were big on butterscotch.... maybe I should take a flyer on a few sample bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtisc84 View Post
    I enjoy the sweetness of the EC12 as an everyday pour. Its more of a brown sugar note for me.
    I got the same note on my EC12 bottle a ways back as well. Though at first it was more of an unsweetened dark chocolate, then after a few weeks in the opened bottle, I got more of a hint of that brown sugar.

Disciple

Any Old Forester dimpled bottle. That said, I find Woodford to be rather thin and would say that it's the opposite of what the OP is looking for. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Bourbons with Caramel and/or Butterscotch flavor in their profile

Dusty old foresters have a very sweet taste, I get a bit of it in the repeal 75th anniv bottles by Old forester but it is not nearly as pronounced as the dusties, OWA, WSR and Weller 12 all have a sugary component of their profile but no where close to the Foresters.

Disciple

If you want sweet heading toward caramel in an easy to find bottle, standard Makers Mark might fit the bill.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.