Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

New From Lexington

While I was waiting for my account to verify, I spent a lot of time traversing the archives of the site to much delight. What a really great resource.

So, here is my dilemma... I am looking to build a nice, complete bourbon collection with selections from various ranges. My problem is that I seem to have begun this undertaking in reverse order. I work with a guy who is obsessed with bourbon and always has the inside track on the release locations of hard-to-find bottles. I have always tagged along when he goes and, because I have always liked bourbon quite a bit (but was never obsessed), I have purchased a fair number of those bourbons at the same time. Alas, my selection contains a PVW 20, PVW 15, ORVW 10/107, ER17, and GTS. He has also told me to buy up Weller 12 when I see it and I have obliged because I love it too.

But my problem is that I would now like to focus my attention on acquiring some middle- and lower-tier bourbons to fill out the selection (and to keep me from polishing off the good stuff before I can get more), but I don't want to just pick up the same ol' same ol'. I find myself trained in going to the store looking for something that is hard to find rather than picking up a nice $20-40 bottle I want to give a shot, knowing that I can go home and have something great.

Can anyone help me find about 8-10 bottles in the $15-$50 range that I should have to make my selection more complete? I would also like to pick up a rye or two.

Thanks for all the help and I appreciate being a part of this site.

Enthusiast

Re: New From Lexington

Quote Originally Posted by bingstein View Post
    While I was waiting for my account to verify, I spent a lot of time traversing the archives of the site to much delight. What a really great resource.

So, here is my dilemma... I am looking to build a nice, complete bourbon collection with selections from various ranges. My problem is that I seem to have begun this undertaking in reverse order.
    Welcome aboard, bingstein. Yes ... starting out with all of those Pappys is indeed a problem and you should start by building a foundation of bottom shelf spirits. So .. in the spirit of brotherhood that you'll find abundant on this board ... I'll be glad to take those off your hands and I've just now worked up to the point of needing just the ones you mentioned!

Seriously, though ... there's a ton of great stuff in the range that you're seeking. You mentioned the Weller 12 .. don't overlook the Antique 107 Weller, the Old Granddad 114 proof, and a number of the single barrel and small batch offerings. Nice that you have all of the distillers in your back yard .. so you can take a few tours .. visit the gift shops .. and sample before you buy. Caution though in the gift shops .. you'll pay much more there than you will on a retail shelf by design. If you like a taste at the gift shop ... find it at a retailer.

Cheers!
    Last edited by callmeox; 01-08-2013 at 04:21. Reason: Fixed broken quote block

Guru

Afternoon bing, welcome aboard. Our Bourbon of the Month (BOTM) sub forum will cover a lot of the whiskys you may be curious about and if you would like to discuss any of them in real time there are often a few of us hanging out in the chatroom in the evenings. That's the chatroom icon at the bottom left of the screen.

Virtuoso

Welcome fellow Lexingtonian!

Virtuoso

Hello and welcome from Michigan.

You might want to take a look at Four Roses they have a few good selections under $50.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Welcome my Lexington brother! Plenty of people would love to be I your position, with easy access to all of these good, cheap pours. I recommend heading straight out and getting some Ancient Ancient Age 10 yr, some Very Old Barton BiB, and some Old Grand Dad 114.

Guru

Welcome. These guys should be able to set you straight.

Connoisseur

Wow, I appreciate all the greetings and the good, quick feedback. I am especially pleasantly surprised not to see suggestions for Makers, Beam and other such heavily marketed (though not necessarily bad) bourbons. I think I'm gonna like it here.

Any suggestions for some ryes? I saw a bottle of Rittenhouse the other day for sale that I almost bought on a whim, but there seem to be mixed reviews about it. Should this be my first foray into ryes?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bingstein View Post
    Wow, I appreciate all the greetings and the good, quick feedback. I am especially pleasantly surprised not to see suggestions for Makers, Beam and other such heavily marketed (though not necessarily bad) bourbons. I think I'm gonna like it here.

Any suggestions for some ryes? I saw a bottle of Rittenhouse the other day for sale that I almost bought on a whim, but there seem to be mixed reviews about it. Should this be my first foray into ryes?
    Ryes are kind of hard. Others here know more about them but I would recommend Baby Saz (i.e. "regular" Sazerac rye)... but it's seemingly impossible to find here in Central KY.

As for bourbons here are a few that I would check out:

Weller Special Reserve
    Old Weller Antique
    Buffalo Trace
    Four Roses Small Batch
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Old Gran Dad 114
    Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond
    Last edited by Clavius; 01-07-2013 at 13:50.

Guru

I do know a place that had Baby Saz in Lex. Now, it was $30+ so maybe that's why they had it. Ritt would be a good a place as any to start. Although considering how you started your bourbon journey you may want to make it Rittenhouse 25 :P