Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Howdy from Houston

Thought I would poke my head in here and say hi. I know there are a few other Houstonians here - where do you get your top shelf (anything?) I've lived several places over the years and in Houston for about 10. It seems that Houston is always one or two steps behind (in everything) and really likes to pander to the masses. Am I wrong, or is it just something I will have to live with (Specs, Richards?) I like beer alot as well and I was really bummed when I found out that Specs was going to stop carrying Double Dog from Flying Dog.

I like wheaters and ryes. Current fave is OWA. Any local suggestions? Thanks everyone!

Guru

Re: Howdy from Houston

Hey Joe, welcome aboard. Go to Specs and be glad you've got it. I've searched for Bourbon around the Country and you live in one of the shopping oasis's.

Guru

Well you are correct about the Specs in Downtown Houston, but the other 50 or 100 locations almost seem like they are owned by different people. Bought many stale microbrews at other locations. Not Downtown though - I've always had good results there (if they have it.) Anyway, Specs is way better than what I had access to in Alabama or W.Va., and parts of Ga.! I'll just keep browsing the Downtown location. Thanks!

Guru

Downtown is the only location I shop.

Connoisseur

Welcome aboard smkn.Houston (TX) "has a problem" when it comes to allocated libation.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Virtuoso

Howdy Joe, Welcome from Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Howdy from Houston

Welcome from Seattle. I'll be down there in a few weeks so I will be paying the DT Specs a visit.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

[QUOTE=smknjoe;315664(Specs, Richards?) [/QUOTE]

Richards is owned by Specs.

Totally disagree with your assessment about Houston (or Texas) being one or two steps behind. If it's currently available outside KY, you can probably find it in TX.

Guru

Welcome. Count your blessings when it comes to the bourbon selection in Houston. Michigan isn't bad as far as control states go, but there's still a lot we can't get.

Interesting choice of name. What's the origin of that?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HP12 View Post
    Welcome aboard smkn.Houston (TX) "has a problem" when it comes to allocated libation.
    You have pretty much described what I have seen over the last few years at Specs. They do, for a large part, have a great selection, but have trouble getting and keeping good or "unique" stuff in stock (mainly beers.) I guess that's how the cookie crumbles though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Welcome from Seattle. I'll be down there in a few weeks so I will be paying the DT Specs a visit.
    Apparently THE ONLY one to go to in town. The other locations are very different.

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Richards is owned by Specs.

Totally disagree with your assessment about Houston (or Texas) being one or two steps behind. If it's currently available outside KY, you can probably find it in TX.
    I noticed their online databases were very similar. Now it all makes sense!

I was talking about Houston in general. Houston was a tough place to find new brews in until 2005/2006 or so. At least that was my experience, and the music scene on the airwaves is lacking compared to places like Atlanta. The software and hardware hacking (experimentation - not stealing) scene is also just starting to catch up with other parts of the country. This is the place to be though, if you want live where the economy is good and there are more good restaraunts than you can shake a stick at! I'm not saying it's all bad. I just feel like it's still a predominately Bud Light kind of town.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Welcome. Count your blessings when it comes to the bourbon selection in Houston. Michigan isn't bad as far as control states go, but there's still a lot we can't get.

Interesting choice of name. What's the origin of that?
    I feel for you. That's how West Virginia used to be.

Specs or smknjoe? Specs, I should probably know, but don't. Smknjoe, old nickname from school that has stuck!

Thanks for the hello everyone!