Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Hookah

Connoisseur

Hookah

I had several folks around the Gazebo inquiring what that tall glass water pipe was that Ben and I were sharing. Boy, did I hear some funny comments. No, we weren't smoking weed, opium, or any other illegal substance, although a few legs got pulled, I hear.

A hookah is known by many other names, including "shisha" as Chuck pointed out. It came from Turkey hundreds of years ago. The tobacco used is often a mixture of fresh tobacco, molasses, and dried fruit pulp. Our Friday night Gazebo tobacco was flavored with rose. Perfect for Four Roses SB, right?

Here's an interesting site: Hookah History

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Hookah

I thought that contraption was just to keep the skitters away!

Connoisseur

I wish it was that easy to keep skeeters away!

Guru

We had one of these things when I was stationed in Saudi... Called it the Hubbly Bubbly and loaded it with all kinds of flavored tobacco like Mango, Mint, Cherry etc. After working 12 hour days 6 days a week it was nice to sit outside and 'puff puff give' and bullshit about home.

Connoisseur

Yeah, we find it really relaxing. I've read that folks also call it the Hubbly Bubbly due to the gurgling water sound. Last night we had a little Wild Turkey with some Apple Molasses tobacco. Quite a nice way to unwind sitting out on a chilly night.