Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Storing whiskey

Re: Storing whiskey

Keep in mind that a screw capped bottle shouldn't be put on its side either. The inside of the cap has a piece of cardboard for sealing and that flavor might get into the whisky when it comes into contact with it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    What happens? Does it explode?
    No explosions, but the cork gets wet on one end but doesn't wick. Ended up with some oddly shaped cork that didn't fit the bottles well. It's a bad sign when you go to pour for friends and the cork slides out of the bottle.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shuboy View Post
    Keep in mind that a screw capped bottle shouldn't be put on its side either. The inside of the cap has a piece of cardboard for sealing and that flavor might get into the whisky when it comes into contact with it.
    I don't think they use cardboard anymore, do they? I went through several bottles I have, and the only one I could find with one was a BHC OF 12 yr. Most of the bottles (mostly recent vintages) just had the cap with nothing else.

Venturing a bit off-topic here, anybody remember when they put a real cork "disc" inside softdrink caps? Then they went to the plastic disc, now nada.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Apprentice

And I thought I was the only one anal enough to make sure my bottles stay upright for the ride home.

I remember the cork disks in bottle caps. I remember carefully popping the disk out, putting the bottle cap on the front of my t-shirt, and popping the cork disk back in through the back of the shirt so the cap would stay on like a button.

I bought a bottle of Stagg last year and when the clerk came from the back where it was stored he was holding it upside down by the neck and was
    waving it side to side like he was trying to mix the ingredients. I almost said something but it was the last bottle they had and it took a phone call to the boss for them to ok them
    giving it to me so I bit my lip, and was happy to know it didn't leak.
    PAUL

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    My wife had a PVW 15 leak a quarter out on the 15 minute ride home from the store back in 2007. The 2 others didn't ...
    Lots of bottle ship with ability to leak. Lots, many. Corks, twist tops, all types. Seems to be a bigger problem with twist tops.

Some adamantly refuse to tip bottle to side fearing cork taint.

I'd like to stuff the ballet box in favor of plastic twist tops. Corks are good for hand bottlings, so they still get used.

A dry cork shrinks. But a cork in the bottle picks up humidity from air above liquid and swells, so storing on the side is unnecessary. Anyone that re-uses old corks will see this. Dry cork goes in loose, but tightens up pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I don't think they use cardboard anymore, do they? I went through several bottles I have, and the only one I could find with one was a BHC OF 12 yr. Most of the bottles (mostly recent vintages) just had the cap with nothing else.
    Plastic screw caps don't usually have the inside filling but I've seen a few metal screw caps with some type of paper disk to help with the sealing. I seem to recall Ralfy calling it cardboard in an old whisky review but the material looks more like white paper to me.