Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

Quote Originally Posted by TheOakMonster View Post
    For me, the winner is still WTR101, with Rittenhouse 100 coming in a strong second place. In reality, both are winners in this contest.
    And the obligatory, 'sounds like you're the winner here,' comment. Obligatory because it's true.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Re: What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

Had a taste of WT101 last night --- unfortunately, not a fan... probably just not a rye type of guy. Hopefully I like it better in an old fashioned.

Enthusiast

Willet 4 year
    Handy 2011

It is shaping up to be a rye night!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Advanced Taster

I just recently discovered Bulleit Rye. It has quickly become one of my favorite sippers. Wonderful whiskey.j

Virtuoso

What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

I had a chance to taste Leopold Bros Maryland Style Rye Whiskey last night. Delicious stuff and absolutely met the expectations set from my fondness for their American Small Batch Whiskey. Clean and light bodied with a somewhat winey strawberry jam motif, sprinkled with mellow, grainy pepper. A great, great table whiskey that feels great going down and has enough going on to keep me interested despite its young age.

I followed it up with a current C series VWFRR. Don't worry, no interest in comparing it to the LBMSRW. The 2012 allocation tastes less concentrated and lighter in body than the previous year's B series, as if it had whiskey in it closer to the 13 year age statement than the '85 distillates we all presume to still be present. It's still a homerun in my book, no question, and my bottle has been gaining flavor with air. It's terribly drinkable, and a miracle this bottle has lasted the weeks it has.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

The LB Maryland Style Rye made an appearance at the GBS Christmas gala last month. I think it was generally well regarded with a few exceptions. At least one person didn't find it to be their cup o'rye but I enjoyed it myself. I don't have a discerning enough palate to pick up strawberry jam but in general I agree with your assessment. Certainly distinctive and one I will look forward to returning to in the future.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    The LB Maryland Style Rye made an appearance at the GBS Christmas gala last month. I think it was generally well regarded with a few exceptions. At least one person didn't find it to be their cup o'rye but I enjoyed it myself. I don't have a discerning enough palate to pick up strawberry jam but in general I agree with your assessment. Certainly distinctive and one I will look forward to returning to in the future.
    I enjoyed it, though youngish. Would like to try it again on an unabused palate. And, like Aaron, I thoroughly enjoy Leopold's American Small Batch. The one thing I noticed in the Rye, was an underlying similarity in the whiskey with the ASB. I don't know if that's a "house style" undertone, or what. But, there was a familiarity there. One, I enjoy.

Now, I'm sipping on a Ri1 that I purchased today for $19.99. This whiskey has never knocked me over, but it has grown on me. My first bottle at $48 was not so good at all. My second bottle at 29.99 was noticeably better, but still lacking. This $19.99 bottle is by far the best tasting Ri1 I've ever had...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I enjoyed it, though youngish. Would like to try it again on an unabused palate. And, like Aaron, I thoroughly enjoy Leopold's American Small Batch. The one thing I noticed in the Rye, was an underlying similarity in the whiskey with the ASB. I don't know if that's a "house style" undertone, or what. But, there was a familiarity there. One, I enjoy.

That can be arranged! And I even have the LB American Small Batch for comparison and contrasting. I suspect what you describe is something of a house style but perhaps one of the crerators will pop by and comment at some point.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I definitely enjoyed your LB Maryland Style Rye at the GBS gathering. I thought it had a great mouthfeel, though the spice was very subdued, which I believe is a characteristic of the Maryland style.

I'm sitting down now for the first time with the Holeman & Finch (Atlanta pub w/ its own liquor store) private bottling of HW Rendezvous. I have to say, the additional proof (100 proof) and the extra 29 months in ex-bourbon barrels after mingling really set this apart from the regular Rendezvous for me. I get great spice, with none of the dill pickle/grassy notes I usually get from the normal Rendezvous. There is also some additional sweetness. I assume this is the same private barrel program that people have noted that Binny's is now selling.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Masterson's 10 year old rye. This is a further bottle, the third I've bought, and even though the same batch as the others, I find each different somewhat. Some are more bitter seemingly, or a touch less sweet. I wonder if the corks have any influence. Some are quite highly colored, almost like a blue cheese, others are mostly white with only light veins.

This current one is the best. It smells of butterscotch candy, the minty kind. The taste is sweetish with oaky overtones, and light acetone/rye, and it flows very evenly on the palate.

Really a great whiskey especially if you hit the right bottle (and if you don't, buy another one or two and mingle it til you get it right).

Gary