Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    Getting into some VWFRR and BMH 18yr SB

both fantastic with the nod going to the BMH tonight
    Slummin it tonight, huh?

Connoisseur

Re: What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    Slummin it tonight, huh?
    i know, right

Closing out the long weekend in style

Advanced Taster

A local bar tweeted about the arrival of a few bottles of Saz18 and THH. Having never tried the Saz18, it dutifully trudged through the snow and cold for the privilege of paying through the nose for a double measure. This is a Rye that has been consistently lauded over the years here at SB and elsewhere.

Maybe it was just my palate, or the fact that the bottle had only recently been opened, but I wasn't nearly as blown away as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong, I do love old rye. VWFRR still lingers in my memory as one of the best things I've ever tasted. And I just recently finished a bottle of V21 that I thoroughly enjoyed. This Saz was good, maybe even great ... but not mind blowing. I might go back in a few weeks and try it again with a fresh palate, after time and aeration have worked their magic, to see if I like it better.

Afterward I came home and poured myself a generous glass of Ritt BIB (from a bottle that cost only $5 more than that double shot of Saz) and wondered why I bothered going out in the cold.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    Having never tried the Saz18, it dutifully trudged through the snow and cold for the privilege of paying through the nose for a double measure. This is a Rye that has been consistently lauded over the years here at SB and elsewhere.

Maybe it was just my palate, or the fact that the bottle had only recently been opened, but I wasn't nearly as blown away as I thought I would be.
    You called it correctley, Saz 18 ain't all that.
    The Handy on the other hand is better even at 11 years younger.
    Could you imagine Handy at 15 years old?!?!?!?
    ovh

Connoisseur

This goes to show that, indeed, tastes can be quite different. I have had most of the older ryes and Sazerac 18 still ranks as my second favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    This goes to show that, indeed, tastes can be quite different. I have had most of the older ryes and Sazerac 18 still ranks as my second favorite.
    Agreed, to me Handy is nothing more than barrel strength baby Saz, where as Saz18 is liquid candy in my glass but I also really do not like ryes that are less than 10 yrs old with 18-23 being the sweet spot age wise for my Pallette

Guru

While I like both THH & Saz18 for different reasons the nod goes to the Saz18 for me. Not even close.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

I think Thomas Handy is one of the best whiskies on the market. I also think that Sazerac 18 (20) is something special. It's like PVW 20. It's very subtle yet elegant. It's not the kick in the teeth that Handy might be and it doesn't have the heavy oak influence that the Vintage Ryes or BMH have. I'll be sad when the spigot eventually runs dry on this fine whiskey.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Could you imagine Handy at 15 years old?!?!?!?
    Well, hopefully we won't have to imagine for too much longer.

Isn't the prevailing speculation that BT tanked the COK/Saz18 and are portioning it out for just long enough to allow the BT Saz juice to mature? With any luck, in a few years THH will be able to take its rightful place in the Antique collection as a full-fledged teenaged Rye (hopefully still barrel strength/NCF).
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    I think Thomas Handy is one of the best whiskies on the market. I also think that Sazerac 18 (20) is something special. It's like PVW 20. It's very subtle yet elegant. It's not the kick in the teeth that Handy might be and it doesn't have the heavy oak influence that the Vintage Ryes or BMH have. I'll be sad when the spigot eventually runs dry on this fine whiskey.
    My thoughts on THH mirror yours, Bradley. Saz 18 is a gorgeous whiskey, indeed. Love the stuff. But, the Handy is a whold 'nuther animal. "Kick in the teeth". "Punch me in the nose and make my eyes water." "Up and bitch slaps me on first sip." "Effie, brace yourself." "2 X 4 to the forehead wake-up call." etc. It's all that, and that's why it's such a thrill to drink it. I try and buy just about every bottle I see.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama