Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Re: Willett Pot Still - How come we never discuss it?

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    No comment on the acerbic KBD hating, but I was disappointed that my 'pot still' bourbon had never seen the inside of a pot still, and I did feel mislead. But, hey, it had a great rich buttery mouthfeel and some nice flavors. I was happy to drink it. It was hard to pour out of the bottle, but come on, that's just too picky.
    I call BS. I had a bottle as a gift and my first pour shot about 3 ounces across my counter. Was I drinking previously? Yes. Would a pour of OGD 100 have shot onto my counter even if I was .12. Hell no. . That being said I have had much better in the price range and bottles don't mean squat to me.

Guru

I was disappointed that my 'pot still' bourbon had never seen the inside of a pot still, and I did feel mislead.
    As far as I know we don't know with certainty where this comes from as is the case with a lot (all?) of the KBD products. But don't some major distillers use what is essentially a pot still as a doubler? I know FR does. So it could well have seen the inside of a pot still!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Not really, the doubler serves a different function and is working with distillate that came out of a column still. The only major producer using a genuine pot still is Woodford and I believe all of their production goes into their own bottles.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Not really, the doubler serves a different function and is working with distillate that came out of a column still. The only major producer using a genuine pot still is Woodford and I believe all of their production goes into their own bottles.
    Well, the doubler at FR at least kinda looks like a pot still!

FR Doubler.JPG
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Of course it does, my point is it's purpose is to increase proof and the distillers who use them do not call their product pot stilled.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Of course it does, my point is it's purpose is to increase proof and the distillers who use them do not call their product pot stilled.

Yes, I know what a doubler is. But it is basically a pot still and so my apparently failed attempt at a humorous point was that the whiskey going through it has seen the "inside" of a pot still which was my moderately tongue in cheek response to a previous posters comment about the Willet never seeing the inside of a pot still.

I was disappointed that my 'pot still' bourbon had never seen the inside of a pot still.

Enthusiast

I visited Willet in the summer of 2012. The distillery was up and running. Here is a couple of photos of their "doubler" :-)

I tasted the newmake, it was a fine spirit in my opinion. I am a big fan of the Willet single barrels and we just got an importer in Denmark, importing a range of KBD and Willet products. I had the pleasure of servicing their stand at the recent danish whisky fair, and the danish importer also asked me to host a bourbon tasting with Willet/KBD products. Worst thing is that its hard to find info on their bottlings. They do a lot of single barrels and small batches. The Willet Pot Still is also single barrel. Some of their vattings are supposed to be a mix of mash bills

Steffen

20120628_130531.jpg20120628_130526.jpg

Advanced Taster

I have tried Willett Pot Still bourbon and while I thought the whiskey tasted OK it is in my opinion not worth the price being charged, cool looking bottle or not. I remember a few years ago Maxim magazine had a ranking of the top bourbons and Willett Pot Still was on the list. Also on the list was Hudson baby bourbon along side GTS and PVW20. When it comes to putting a list of hot babes together Maxim does a good job, when listing great bourbons, not so much.
    Jim

Connoisseur

I enjoy this product from time to time when I'm in the mood. The pric epoint wasn't too high for me not to buy a bottle to make pours from. Do I drink it every day? No. Do I know the origins of the juice in the bottle no? Do I like the juice? Yes Do I tend to prefer the Single Barrel Estate bottlings? Yes

I don't understand all the hatred. I find them to be really nice people who have always delivered products that I have enjoyed.... from Johnny Drum to all the other expressions they have put out. I can't wait for their distillates to mature because of all the raving about the white dogs.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by brettckeen View Post
    I enjoy this product from time to time when I'm in the mood. The pric epoint wasn't too high for me not to buy a bottle to make pours from. Do I drink it every day? No. Do I know the origins of the juice in the bottle no? Do I like the juice? Yes Do I tend to prefer the Single Barrel Estate bottlings? Yes

I don't understand all the hatred. I find them to be really nice people who have always delivered products that I have enjoyed.... from Johnny Drum to all the other expressions they have put out. I can't wait for their distillates to mature because of all the raving about the white dogs.
    Here, here. I've been underwhelmed by the NAS Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek, but overall I enjoy their products and I'm looking forward to mature expressions of their own distillate. Pretty much the best rectifiers in the game, have been for years IMO.