Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Enthusiast

Re: "Article" about Larceny creates my question about Old Fitzgerald

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I see exactly where you're coming from Rod, on the taste profile. The Larceny is an entirely different animal from the Weller line. The Wellers are much more sweetish, and more rounded, with a very big finish for a wheated bourbon (particularly the OWA). Larceny is more like a MM, IMO, in it's taste profile. Softer. I do happen to dig the Larceny, though.
    Joe... Curious here. Have you followed OWA with a pour of Larceny, or when sipping Lacreny do you usually stick with it?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    Joe... Curious here. Have you followed OWA with a pour of Larceny, or when sipping Lacreny do you usually stick with it?
    I usually go through such a bouillabaisse of whiskies on a given night, that I'm sure I have!! But, I'll give it a learned go this evening, to see how they compare back-to-back.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I usually go through such a bouillabaisse of whiskies on a given night, that I'm sure I have!! But, I'll give it a learned go this evening, to see how they compare back-to-back.
    Sounds good. I'd be curious to know your thoughts.

Advanced Taster

I have never noticed Old Fitzgerald in TX, but we have Larceny.

I think the OWA and WL Weller 12 are both better bourbons when I am looking for something specific, but the Larceny is something I could really enjoy anytime. It has joined BT and WLW 12 as bourbons to always keep a handle of around. I happened to have my bottles of WSR, OWA, WLW 12, and Larceny all down to a couple oz at the same time, so I went ahead and mixed them. I found it very interesting, I may keep doing that with my wheaters.

Guru

Yeah, the leftovers blend can be surprisingly good. Of course if it's not I just serve it toward the end of the party when taste buds are less demanding.

Enthusiast

I did an in-glass mingling of Larceny and HH BIB white label a couple weeks ago and it was very nice. Kind of a PHC 2012 Jr.

Advanced Taster

We have Old Fitzgerald in Seattle but I've never seen Larceny in the store, just at a few bourbon-centric bars.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Because Heaven Hill is a privately-held company, they give out information about sales only sparodically and, typically, vaguely, as they did in that article. If Old Fitzgerald is 'popular' only in a 'half dozen markets,' that's a pretty sad state of affairs for a once venerable brand. Heaven Hill and Sazerac took opposite approaches with the Stitzel-Weller brands they acquired in 1999, but since Sazerac is also private, we don't know which approach has been more successful. Setting aside my sentimentality, however, it's really about making a good wheated bourbon. We know Sazerac can do it and between the wheated Parker's and Larceny, we see that Heaven Hill can do it to. I don't hate Heaven Hill's Old Fitzgerald. I just think they're selling it too young, but I can say that because I'm not trying to manage a legacy brand at a profit. I'm sure they hope to make Larceny a national and even international brand as their flagship wheater. I'm all for it, because it's a good whiskey.