Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Guru

Re: Has char levels in the barrels increased along with barrel proof?

Tom, that is very interesting.

Virtuoso

Bump ... up thread there was discussion about adding older whisky to compensate for color loss when distilleries began barreling at a higher entry proof. If dusty whiskies were barreled closer to 100pf and seemed darker, is it due to the fact that some of the color compounds are more water soluble than ethanol soluble? Doesn't WT barrel at a lower barrel entry proof? That bourbon always seemed darker to me, although not sure what it's average age is ... I also thought I read on here that SW also barreled at a lower entry proof. Does the higher water content during aging have to do with more color and simultaneously less char taste in dusties?
    Mark

Advanced Taster

This is a great read, sorry for bumpage if its old. I was fascinated at how dark my bottles of WT101 are, and I knew they barreled at lower entry proof (Esp since my Rare Breed is barrel proof at 108.2), however I never would have thought a lower proof would extract MORE color from the barrel. Cool stuff guys.

Enthusiast

I can't believe I just stumbled upon this thread now. It was an excellent read! Barrel char changing is something that never really occurred to me. I can't remember the exact thread, but I remember reading that SW barreled at 105 proof.

Guru

That's true, SW used 103-105, depending how it came out of the stills. That could've been one of my posts as I've mentioned that often enough.

Interesting that the Van Winkle and Pappy brands we get today entered the barrel at 125.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Water is a better solvent than alcohol. So you get better extraction of color and I think lower proof extracts a different range of flavors than high proof. Lower proof in my experience, we barrel at 100, picks up more maple, butterscotch, coconut, flavors. Higher proof leads to more vanilla and char flavors. It certainly pulls more color in the first year of aging. Have you ever seen pictures or a bottle of lem motlow? I did recently. One year old JD. This bottle was late 70s. It was as dark, or darker than anything they have on the market today. Also, I have noticed there is a more red color to it than amber. With the barrel market as tight as it is, one might be tempted to raise entry proof. Not me.

Advanced Taster

Do we think that lower entry proof is at least part of the reason for the difference in ND OGD and JB OGD?

Enthusiast

Chemically, that's entirely plausible. Water is a more polar solvent than ethanol, and because ethanol content only increases with age in most bourbon barrels, higher barrel entry proof will decrease the spirit's ability to extract the more polar compounds from the barrel.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
    Do we think that lower entry proof is at least part of the reason for the difference in ND OGD and JB OGD?
    Yes, we do . . . . . . . . . . .
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

That was my assumption just based on tasting the difference in ND OGD 86 vs JB OGD BIB with a splash of water to even it out. A whole lot more of the flavors that Tom was talking about with the lower entry proof.