Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

New from Southern Ohio

Hey SB!

I have been reading along for a few months and now I am ready to (hopefully) become more of a contributor. My (serious) journey into bourbon began about a year ago when I was given a bottle of PVW20 as a gift. Before that, I had only drank JD and JB mixed as well as some (very little) MM and Woodford on the rocks.

I have spent the last year drinking just about anything that I can get my hands on. I currently have EC12, Weller 12, Larceny and VWFRR13.

I am looking forward to recommendations, events and tastings, and meeting fellow bourbon enthusiasts!

Thanks,
    Justin

Guru

Re: New from Southern Ohio

Welcome aboard and just keep drinking!

Guru

Hey Justin. Welcome from one newbie to another.

Being that I drank JB regularly for several years, what did you think of the PVW? I have never had any VW product that I can recall. Since Weller 12 is supposed to be similar, and I don't personally care for it as much as others I've tried recently, do you think it has a similar taste profile to the PVW?

Disciple

Welcome. Where in Ohio if you don't mind my question?

Novice

You have to keep in mind, that I drank JB and JD almost exclusively mixed with Coke while I was in college. Even when I first started drinking MM and Woodford, I had no idea what a flavor profile for bourbon was supposed to taste like and had even less appreciation for it.

As far as the PVW20, I have to say that I liked it, even if I didn't have much appreciation for what "it" was at the time. With respect to Weller 12, I think it is less complex than the PVW (I am still not very adept at breaking down the flavor profile of particular pours). My beginner's opinion would be that the finish on the Weller 12 doesn't linger like the PVW and overall, the pour is less complex. That being said, I really like the Weller 12 (especially consindering the price and availability compared to the PVW).

All in all, they're both very good pours.

Novice

Wheelerbsurg, Ohio

Guru

Hi Justin, welcome aboard. I'll be glad to make some recommendations, of those whiskys you have on hand do you have a preference?

Disciple

The first time I ever had PVW20, the only description I could come up with was "chewy". The complexity and the mouthfeel make it a different experience than the W12 imo. That said, there's no reason to jump into something, particularly something expensive, only to compare/contrast to something you don't particularly like.

Guru

Squire, HighMtn. (or something like that - sorry bud, still new), and a few others made some good and relatively inexpensive suggestions to get me started. There are some pretty nice people here. Have fun.

Bourbon Boiler - I've pretty much figured that one out thanks to you guys and my own limited tastings. Is there anything readily available out there that you think is similar to PVW? I just want to know what all the buzz is about...or should I just be happy with what I already enjoy?

Enthusiast

Greetings Justin, and welcome to the forum from yet another newbie. Hope you're keeping warm up there, and not bummed about the Cincinnati loss this evening.