Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Virtuoso

Re: What is a Cocktail?

It's a timeless question and of course the answers change as our sensibilities change. Is a vatting of rum 'n' rye, taken neat a cocktail? Probably, at least as much as a rum 'n' Coke is...

Around here, the word is a catch-all for any alcoholic drink, although the pronunciation seems to vary a little in this usage. Example: "Joe slipped on the ice last night and broke his wrist. Of course, he'd already had a coupla cyacktells in him," she said with a knowing wink. "Cyacktells" here might refer to Grainbelt Premiums, Philips Vodka, or brandy 'n' waters....
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I once knew a gent from the mid-west who used the term in that sense, of any alcohol drink. He pronounced it almost, "cacktail", which to me had a mid-west twang to it. I feel you can hear faint German and Scandinavian accents in mid-west speech, but that is getting off-topic!

Gary

Virtuoso

Yes, Gary, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Cacktail, cyacktell, it varies a bit depending on which of the Great Lakes you're closest to, but it seem that the catch-all usage goes hand in hand with the accent.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Thanks for reminding me of high balls Tim, an appropriate term one doesn't hear too often now. As for the concoctions that rhyme with 'tini'
    I believe they are best called 'leg spreaders'.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

There's something comforting about seeing the marquee sign for dining establishments in the Mid-West that advertise "Cocktails" on them, on a cold Winter's night. They're even better when they're in neon. Only seldomly do you see "cocktails" on similar signs here, Down South.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Steve, can you get Smith & Cross in Florida?
    TPS has it as well.
    https://www.thepartysource.com/expre...m.php?id=10923
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    There's something comforting about seeing the marquee sign for dining establishments in the Mid-West that advertise "Cocktails" on them, on a cold Winter's night. They're even better when they're in neon. Only seldomly do you see "cocktails" on similar signs here, Down South.
    Speaking of cocktails down south there was a vintage one being promoted by H&F called the Deep South that looked interesting.

1/4 Tennessee Whiskey (they suggested Dickel but presumably JD or most any bourbon would probably work as well. I have also seen this with good old Southern Comfort as the spirit of choice although probably better with the older Southern Comfort that actually had a bit of whiskey in it rather than the junk made today.)
    1/4 Dark Rum (ED 12 was suggested. Always a good choice!)
    1/4 Lemon Juioce
    1/4 Lime juice

Shake with ice, pour into champagne flute and top with brut champagne.

Sounds tasty but a hard one to try as I don't have any splits and even a split is probably too much for a drink for just me. But I do rather like champagne cocktails. Had a New Years Eve party a couple of years ago that featured only champagne cocktails. Had about 10 of them!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    If my buddy describes our waitress as "Juicy", now I know that makes her a Cocktail Waitress.
    This is gold. I can't wait to point out a few "cocktail waitresses" the next time we're out on the town.