Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Botm 1/13: Old Forester Signature

One of my favorite budget bourbons. Just, bourbon. Plain and simple. Solid. Totally agree with Josh's and Squire's observations on the nice job B-F has taken in keeping this brand with us. And, at a high quality to boot! For me, this is one of those whiskies that takes well to a little coolin', too. If I don't have HH 6yr BIB in the fridge, I have Signature in there. Better yet, I'll take the bottle outside with me on a cold night and let nature do it's magic.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    I just finished a bottle of this that I bought for $19.99. It was a good everyday pour. If you have some high proof special edition bourbon that you don't want to finish all at once, start with a pour of the OF signature then move on to the bigger stuff, you will appreciate both bourbons more, than if you drank them alone.
    I'm going to add though that at $19.99 I'd rather buy the current WT101 or OGDBIB, both the same price here. When I bought the signature I also bought the OF86 for the same price. I gave the 86 to my dad and kept the signature. I think I liked the 86 a little better. I haven't seen HH label bottles or VOB here in NY, however, I buy EWB sometimes. I think I would buy the OF86 for a few extra dollars next time instead of the EW.

Virtuoso

OF Signature is probably the only BF bourbon that I honestly enjoy. I don't buy it often but I do think that it's a quality product reasonably priced (unlike Woodford).

Virtuoso

$25 seems pretty high. I can ususally find it for about $17. I think that's a fair price although sometimes I choose Fighting Cock instead at the same price point. If it was over $20 I would just buy OGD114 instead. But at $17 I like it as an entry level 100 proofet.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Yet another bourbon I've been meaning to try... but never get around to. The local stores only have the 1.75L size for some reason, which makes it a little more of a gamble for a 'first try'.

Connoisseur

First time I had a bottle when it was named BOTM so I cracked it open tonight. My first impression was that it had the chewiness of my bottle of V17 without the complex flavors. I did find it fairly big and bold. I will definitely revisit the bottle in a few days. Not a bad pour in my opinion.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Advanced Taster

Good buy for my flask while skiing.

Disciple

OFS is a pretty solid value pour for under $20 and one I should visit a little more frequently it's just to easy for me to spend a few bucks more for OGD114.I would have to agree with Matt that of the BF products this would be my pick of the bunch based on dollar/quality scale.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Connoisseur

When I started dusty hunting I picked up several old label OF 100 proofs. It's a constant open bottle in my cabinet now. The OFBB '11 I found to be very similar tasting, which was nice!

I'll have to post some notes about it the next time I pour some, but I usually get a grape fruit stripe gum taste amongst the other really solid bourbon flavors.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Enthusiast

I finally cracked my bottle open last night with this thread in mind. Is it wrong to suggest that the nose on this stuff is about as "bourbony" as bourbon gets? Just incredibly straightforward and nice. I think I spent more time smelling my half-Glencairn of it than I actually did sipping it.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz