Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Botm 1/13: Old Forester Signature

Not wrong at all, quite accurate actually. Forester is about as old fashioned as it gets in nose and character. It is to the Brown family's credit they have kept this old brand going.

Enthusiast

I had my first taste Woodford Reserve last night (in a bar), and wouldn't go out and buy it. How similar is the OF Signature going to be? This may be another example of this site saving me money.

Guru

They are going to be similar, same mashbill, and Woodford contains a portion of Forester in it's mix. Forester is close to $22 around here and at that price I recommend you pick up a bottle. If the taste doesn't suit you it makes a dandy Manhattan.

Enthusiast

Squire's point about the price is important to note, as I view a $20 bourbon differently than a $30 bourbon. Anecdotally, Woodford is very popular in different circles I see, whether friends, business associates, etc. But for the price, I have generally been unimpressed with Woodord at around $30. My bottle of OF Signature was $20, and compares favorably with bourbons around that price range. It is not widely available around me, and I should have picked up more than 1 bottle when I had the chance.

If you stumble upon it, the OF Repeal bottling is very interesting, with the "signature" rich flavor of OF. I have one 375ml bottle left, and enjoy it as an "on occasion" bourbon. It could never be a regular for me though with its pretty intense flavor profile.

Connoisseur

It may be interesting to note, they changed the label recently. I can see both the old, and new labels on shelves at the same time. I don't believe the whiskey has changed. OF Signature is one of my favorites. I have also noticed a big variability in prices between different stores.

Guru

Yeah, I noticed that, the price was $2.95 cheaper before the new label. Same whisky though.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    If you stumble upon it, the OF Repeal bottling is very interesting, with the "signature" rich flavor of OF. I have one 375ml bottle left, and enjoy it as an "on occasion" bourbon. It could never be a regular for me though with its pretty intense flavor profile.
    Interesting that you mention the OF Repeal. I found 10 or so bottles (smallish, didn't look to see if they were 200 mL or 375) two days ago, and was warned off by a colleague (who shall remain nameless). Maybe I'll reconsider, as "intense" is a word that always intrigues me.

Enthusiast

In full disclosure, I got two of the gift sets with the 375ml bottle and a glencairn glass for under $20 total, so again, price plays a factor in my views on the Repeal Bourbon. At under $20 for a full 750ml, it's a fun Bourbon imho.

Enthusiast

No, this was about $17 for the 375 mL, as I recall.

Virtuoso

Just bought a bottlenof Signature, new label. Much better than earlier examples I have had. A little corn on the nose, but buckets of brown sugar and vanilla. The palate follows the nose pretty closely, with a pleasantly warming, bitter chocolate finish. I'll be buying a couple more for the bunker.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.