Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Botm 1/13: Old Forester Signature

My OF Signature is 100 proof with screw cap, but does'nt say BIB anywhere. Is this an odd bottling, or are your Signatures 100 proof, too? I'm just now comparing it to EW Black, which is a third less money, and not a third less flavor. This OF Signature is salty, almost overpoweringly so. The nose has just a wiff of detergent, like a laundromat smell, weird. The bottle is half empty, been open since before Christmas, but I don't remember this smell, or the saltiness. Maybe it's just me tonight, but don't get either one from the EW Black. I don't think I'd buy it again, even for $17, much less $22.

Guru

Old Forester has dropped the BIB designation and renamed it Signature, but it's still 100 proof.

Taster

Howdy,

Recently discovered this delightful, middle shelf Bourbon and I'm digging it as a daily pour. I like it better than JB Black label or WT101, although the former is a solid Bourbon as well. If there's a better bang-for- the buck Bourbon, please post it!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Old Forester has dropped the BIB designation and renamed it Signature, but it's still 100 proof.
    As usual, The Squire nails it. But more than 100 proof is required by the BIB Act. The whiskey must also be the product of a single distillery made during a single distillation season and spend at least four years in a federally bonded rickhouse. Signature is still 100 proof but, evidently, it does not meet one or more of the other criteria.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    As usual, The Squire nails it. But more than 100 proof is required by the BIB Act. The whiskey must also be the product of a single distillery made during a single distillation season and spend at least four years in a federally bonded rickhouse. Signature is still 100 proof but, evidently, it does not meet one or more of the other criteria.
    I can't get this here in Texas. I hope to try it someday.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    I can't get this here in Texas. I hope to try it someday.
    It's certainly not at most stores around here, but I'm pretty sure that I saw a bottle of it somewhere within the last few months. If I remember correctly I passed on it because it was a 1.75 and I didn't want to buy that much.

Enthusiast

This just showed up in Oregon this month. Picked up a bottle for tasting, I'll crack it and do a side-by-side with WR.

Virtuoso

I actually prefer the Signature to WR - I don't get that copper penny thing with the Signature, and there seems to be more of the brown sugar / caramel going on. Woodford comes off a bit bitter to me and while there is a little of that in the Signature finish, it isn't off-putting or pushing to the point where it throws things out of balance.
    Mark

Connoisseur

The 1.75L bottle I purchased is growing on me. I really enjoyed it out of my flask when I went to see Olympus Has Fallen... out of the flask, I didn't get nearly as much copper penny, and the sweetness stood out (was it just the atmosphere/mental aspect, or something to do with the flask, who knows?).

Not something I'll rush out for again, seeing as I can only get the family size here, but I may pick up OF 86 sooner than later.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    I actually prefer the Signature to WR - I don't get that copper penny thing with the Signature, and there seems to be more of the brown sugar / caramel going on. Woodford comes off a bit bitter to me and while there is a little of that in the Signature finish, it isn't off-putting or pushing to the point where it throws things out of balance.
    I couldn't agree more if I tried and at $15 less it's a no brainer ever time,I couldn't even tell you the last time I picked up a WR or for that matter even gave it a second look.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski