Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    577

    Man, this is overwhelming!

    Man, the beginning of my 'quest' to learn more about the bourbon I consume is more overwhelming than I thought it'd be! I've always liked the stuff, generally speaking, and it's been my spirit of choice for as long as I've been drinking. I can't think of any that I absolutely did NOT like, but rather, find myself liking everything somewhere on a spectrum. Make sense?

    I've been lurking around the forums for the past few days as I've waited for my account to be validated/approved, and there are definitely similarities between the whiskey/bourbon and cigar worlds (not all batches tasting the same, limited releases, etc., etc.). Also, I'm trying to keep to the advice I tell people new to cigars: Do NOT rush out and go nuts over top shelf stuff. It's not that you won't like it, but rather, you won't appreciate how truly "special" it might be.

    Don't make your first cigar an Arturo Fuente Anejo Shark or an Opus X.

    And I find myself looking at the $30-$50 price range at my 'main' local source (BevMo), blinded by the higher end bottles. I want them! But I also know I won't truly appreciate them. My cabinet consists of Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig 12 Year, a couple EWSBs (that won't get opened any time soon, if ever - they're "bottled on" the exact day my daughter was born, 8-8-12) and a couple other non-bourbon whiskeys. But certainly there are bigger and better things out there, yes?

    So it's tough knowing that I SHOULD stick to the lower level (for lack of a better word) bourbons for now. That I need to. Patience is a virtue, and all that. But still, it's tough!
    Last edited by jwacky; 01-07-2013 at 13:21.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,461

    Re: Man, this is overwhelming!

    I'm in the same boat. Enjoy the ride! If it helps any my current favorites are Elmer T. Lee and Old Grand Dad 114 proof. I'm sure others will chime in here.

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dayton OH
    Posts
    802

    Re: Man, this is overwhelming!

    Sounds like you've been drinking the lower shelf stuff for awhile. And you're drinking some good bourbon at that. Branch out man, I really think you will enjoy them and see the difference.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

  4. #4
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    149

    Re: Man, this is overwhelming!

    I wouldn't consider any of the bottles in your cabinet "lower Shelf", in my opinion they are all good "mid-shelf" selections. I like that you have selected from a few different distillers, I think that is important to get a feel for the different variations in taste between the brands. I think you are on the right track in not jumping in head first for the super premium priced offerings and I like your cigar analogy. I might suggest giving a wheated bourbon a try to see if that profile is to your liking. Give Makers Mark or Wellers a try.
    Jim

  5. #5
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    577

    Re: Man, this is overwhelming!

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    Sounds like you've been drinking the lower shelf stuff for awhile. And you're drinking some good bourbon at that. Branch out man, I really think you will enjoy them and see the difference.
    It's more that I don't know WHERE to branch out... or what constitutes lower class...

    Guess I'll just keep looking through for everyones' personal favorites and go from there, read some descriptions/tasting notes, etc., to see what sounds appealing. Definitely eyeing some Elmer T. Lee, Angel's Envy (out of pure curiosity, more than anything), WT Russel's Reserve and Kentucky Spirit, and a handful of others as a potential pick up later this week. Not ALL of them, obviously.

    And there's a decent list of bourbons I've had in the past and enjoyed: Knob Creek, Maker's, Devil's Cut, Four Roses (standard offering)...

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,329

    Re: Man, this is overwhelming!

    Quote Originally Posted by jwacky View Post
    Man, the beginning of my 'quest' to learn more about the bourbon I consume is more overwhelming than I thought it'd be! I've always liked the stuff, generally speaking, and it's been my spirit of choice for as long as I've been drinking. I can't think of any that I absolutely did NOT like, but rather, find myself liking everything somewhere on a spectrum. Make sense?

    I've been lurking around the forums for the past few days as I've waited for my account to be validated/approved, and there are definitely similarities between the whiskey/bourbon and cigar worlds (not all batches tasting the same, limited releases, etc., etc.). Also, I'm trying to keep to the advice I tell people new to cigars: Do NOT rush out and go nuts over top shelf stuff. It's not that you won't like it, but rather, you won't appreciate how truly "special" it might be.

    Don't make your first cigar an Arturo Fuente Anejo Shark or an Opus X.

    And I find myself looking at the $30-$50 price range at my 'main' local source (BevMo), blinded by the higher end bottles. I want them! But I also know I won't truly appreciate them. My cabinet consists of Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig 12 Year, a couple EWSBs (that won't get opened any time soon, if ever - they're "bottled on" the exact day my daughter was born, 8-8-12) and a couple other non-bourbon whiskeys. But certainly there are bigger and better things out there, yes?

    So it's tough knowing that I SHOULD stick to the lower level (for lack of a better word) bourbons for now. That I need to. Patience is a virtue, and all that. But still, it's tough!

    Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    I'm in the same boat. Enjoy the ride! If it helps any my current favorites are Elmer T. Lee and Old Grand Dad 114 proof. I'm sure others will chime in here.

    You guys are just starting to get to the fun part.

    But seriously, a lot of us have been in the same boat. At least there are oars available. So fasten your seat belts, and like Joe said, enjoy the ride.

    Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    732

    Re: Man, this is overwhelming!

    During the journey, I suggest getting a good idea to understand what the seasonal, highly allocated and most sought after expressions are. WLW, GTS, PHC to name a few are premium pours that, if you run across them you might want to grab for later.

    Even if you aren't ready for them palate wise, you'll have them for later when you are ready or if not to your liking, they would likely make for good trade bait. I also concur with JB64, give the wheaters a try.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

  8. #8

    Re: Man, this is overwhelming!

    -1 for Angel's Envy. Not worth it in any way and not that great.

    +1 for Blanton's Single Barrel. If you like Buffalo Trace, try their best product, it's the same mashbill, I believe, and it's $50. You'll love it.

    If you want to get to the $35-50 range, you'll do great with Rock Hill Farms (BT's high rye bourbon,) Blanton's, Ezra B 12 yr, and some Four Roses Single Barrel!

    Welcome, enjoy the ride!

  9. #9
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    577

    Re: Man, this is overwhelming!

    Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    -1 for Angel's Envy. Not worth it in any way and not that great.

    +1 for Blanton's Single Barrel. If you like Buffalo Trace, try their best product, it's the same mashbill, I believe, and it's $50. You'll love it.

    If you want to get to the $35-50 range, you'll do great with Rock Hill Farms (BT's high rye bourbon,) Blanton's, Ezra B 12 yr, and some Four Roses Single Barrel!

    Welcome, enjoy the ride!
    Thanks!! I've actually got Blanton's Single Barrel and Four Roses Single Barrel set up in my 'shopping list' at BevMo, as soon as they're back in stock I plan to grab a bottle of each.

  10. #10
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    MOLINE,IL
    Posts
    1,744

    Re: Man, this is overwhelming!

    I will agree that the hobby can be overwhelming at first but establishing things in your suited taste/profile is key.You should try different things and even make notes as many do and reference the Whiskey Tree to familiarize yourself with mash bills and try to build a game plan from there.You also can familiarize yourself with other's tasting notes to recognize what you may and may not like through someone else virtual experiences here.Building a solid foundation is key,from there it is just branching out slowly,bit by bit.Have fun and welcome to this great and quite infinite hobby!
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top