Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?

.75 oz Elijah Craig 18, .75 oz Campari, .75 oz. Amaro Nonino, .75 Dolin Sweet Vermouth, .75 oz. lemon juice. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfAtl View Post
    I bet you are right.
    Well then, find out!

.75 oz Elijah Craig 18, .75 oz Campari, .75 oz. Amaro Nonino, .75 Dolin Sweet Vermouth, .75 oz. lemon juice. Fantastic.
    Kindred Spirits, right there. Damn, that sounds good.

I like how you're going balance here......I'd be more Golden Ratio...nice idea.

Guru

I like the recipe though I might drop the vermouth and change the proportions a bit, looks good.

Guru

Sounds tasty! Have you got a name for it? Sounds like a Paper Airplane with vermouth thrown in for good measure.

I wonder if it would work with EC20? Got to find some way to use up that bottle...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Lunch cocktail . . . 1 oz Barton, 1/2 oz Eristoff Red Sloe berry vodka, 2 oz ginger ale.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Sounds tasty! Have you got a name for it? Sounds like a Paper Airplane with vermouth thrown in for good measure.

I wonder if it would work with EC20? Got to find some way to use up that bottle...
    You know, I was actually trying to remember what was in a Paper Airplane and got it wrong. The vermouth was really nice in it though, and I like Campari much better than Aperol anyway. I might toy around with the ratios, as Squire and humchan2k suggested. And I think something dry like EC18 (or presumably EC20) works well. No idea on a name . . . a Wooden Airplane?

Guru

You know, I was actually trying to remember what was in a Paper Airplane and got it wrong. The vermouth was really nice in it though, and I like Campari much better than Aperol anyway. I might toy around with the ratios, as Squire and humchan2k suggested. And I think something dry like EC18 (or presumably EC20) works well. No idea on a name . . . a Wooden Airplane?
    A Wooden Airplane works for me!

The history of the drink is a bit murky but seems to be that it started as the "Paper Plane" using EC and Aperol from Milk and Honey in NYC and it was the version made at the Violet Hour in Chicago that used Campari instead of Aperol (and BT bourbon instead of EC) that was called the "Paper Airplane". Usually it was made with EC12 and not 18 or 20 of course!

I have had a variation of this with rye, Gran Classico, lemon juice and Amaro CioCiaro which was dubbed the "Balsa Airplane".

Yet another tasty variation substitutes Ramazotti for Nonino. Another version I have heard of is the "Lead Balloon" using Stagg!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Barclay Beach View Post
    Very similar experience, Jersey. The Willett makes for an outstanding manhattan, perfect integration. Poured neat it was decent, but not my preferred profile -- a little on the briny and piney side, whereas I prefer baking spices.
    Glad to hear I wasn't alone in my thoughts on the Willett. If I can it find around $30 I might pick up another bottle as it did make a fabulous manhattan. Did you you crack the Jefferson rye yet?

Guru

Today's luncheon cocktail was 1 oz Barton, 1/2 oz each of amaretto and triple sec, two oz pineapple juice. Sort of a whisky sour I suppose, I'm just combining things to find what works best for my tastes.

Being retired I have the time and inclination to pursue such things to their logical conclusion.