Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    No need to feel guilty. In my opinion, diminishing returns in relation to cocktails doesn't begin to apply until slightly after Lag 16's price point.
    Interesting and I can't disagree with you. The Lag 16 Cameron's Kick was light years ahead of the normal version I make with a basic blended scotch.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I'm surprised you liked the wheated bourbon, as the don't mix well in my opinion. For me, a decent rye or non-wheated bourbon does the trick, and the spice will stand out from the sugar/bitters. Ritt BIB, WT101 rye, OGD 114, BT, or FRSB are all possibilities. I've made some with Saz18 and that was fun.

I keep it simple: drop a sugar cube into a glass, and do two to three dashes of Angostura, enough to saturate the cube. Add a teaspoon of water, and mix/muddle together. Add some large ice cubes and pour two ounces of rye/bourbon over the cube. Stir gently and serve!
    Thanks for the info. As to the wheater not mixing well, it could simply have been the case that the SB was made better than the WTR101 being that these were the first two attempts. In my mind I'm thinking OGD114, but I need to get to NKy to get a bottle, not sold in Ohio.

Guru

I "invented" another nice one, yesterday. No doubt it has probably been done before, but it came to the top of my cluttered mind and I couldn't rest until I tried it. It came out pretty good.

Basically, I just made a Manhattan cocktail in a tall glass, then filled it with ice cubes and club soda. I thought of the result as a Manhattan Highball.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    Punt e Mes is a vermouth, not an amaro.
    I know, I know, thanks for being anal. I was just espousing some ingredients I regularly swap out for the traditional vermouth and Campari. I should have mentioned Byrrh in there as well.

Your manhattan recipe sounds decent!

Last night I thought I invented The White Negroni using Kina Avion D'Or, but turns out it was already invented and published by the Washington Post.

Virtuoso

Let me start by saying that this is a cocktail somewhat born of necessity. One of my employees bought be a bottle of Jagermeister for my birthday, because she knows I am fond of black licorice (and she was overwhelmed by the whiskey aisle).

I do occasionally enjoy a shot of Jag right out of the freezer, but the sickly-sweet finish kind of kills it for me. So I tried adding some rye (Dickel, at first). I mixed about 4:1 rye:Jag. Actually it's pretty tasty! I'm still experimenting to find the right ratio.

Anyone have any ideas on garnishes and presentation? I would think a lemon twist might be decent. Any other ingredients I should add? I tried Angostura bitters which was interesting, but I find I prefer it without.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Enthusiast

Throw in a small amount of Aperol, instead of the bitters. Are you shaking it, or stirring it, or just building it? I recommend stirring this particular combo.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    Throw in a small amount of Aperol, instead of the bitters. Are you shaking it, or stirring it, or just building it? I recommend stirring this particular combo.
    Just building it, at the moment but stirring would be the way to go to chill it. Aperol, hmm? Not familiar with it but I see it's on sale down at Surdyk's.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Aperol is an Italian bitter aperitif that is a somewhat less bold version of the much more famous Campari. They are in fact made by the same company.

Connoisseur

I was informed that a cocktail I have never been able to make to my satisfaction, the Blood and Sand, won't work without fresh blood oranges. This information turned out to be quite accurate. Time to stock up on blood oranges and start experimenting!

Guru

This afternoon's cocktail was one I had never tried before, the Negroni. 1 oz Tanqueray gin, 1 oz Campari, and 1 oz red vermouth, on the rocks in a tall glass. Very tasty!

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur