I spent two nights in northwest Indiana for two reasons: to visit a good friend I haven't seen in a while and to pick up bourbon I can't find here and/or bourbon for cheaper than in MI. The ones I was hoping to find that are not available here are Larceny, HH6/BIB and VOB. Unfortunately I could only find the Larceny but I found lots of other stuff cheaper and way cheaper than what I can buy it for here so I literally filled up my trunk. Sales tax in MI is 6% and it's 7% in IN so I am just going to ignore that in the price recap/comparison below.
Name Liters Qty $ IN Tot $ IN $ MI Tot $ MI BT(1) .750 10 21 210 26 260 KCSmB 1.000 2 23 46 46 92 KCSB(2) 1.00 2 22 44 64 128 JBBIB(3) 1.00 1 16 16 33 33 Stagg Jr(4) .750 3 46 138 70 210 EWSB '04 .750 1 24 24 32 32 Booker's .750 3 35 105 60 180 Baker's .750 1 40 40 50 50 1792 .750 1 25 25 32 32 MM46 .740 3 20 60 40 160 Larceny(5) 1.750 4 35 140 N/A N/A Totals(5) 31 $708 $1177 Difference MI-IN(6) $469
(1) I forgot to check BT prices from my phone and thought it was 28 or 30 here so 10 of those was probably not the smartest move but I love it so I am not too bothered by the oopsie.
(2) The KCSB is N/A in 1L here but the .75L are $48 so I divided by 3 and multiplied by 4 to estimate what it might cost in a Liter bottle here.
(3) The JBBIBis N/A in 1L here but the .75L are $25 so I divided by 3 and multiplied by 4 to estimate what it might cost in a Liter bottle here.
(4) Stagg Jr is State Min of $50 here but the only time I saw it on the shelf it was $70 so I bought one of each batch I saw since who knows when I might see it up here ever again for proper state min price and I used that value instead of state min like I did for the others.
(5) Larceny is not available here at all so it is not included in the Tot $ IN row's cell.
(6) I didn't count the Larceny in the difference but I would guess if it were those handles would be 45 - 55 or more up here based on the difference in price I saw for things like BT and 1792.
In hindsight I probably should have bought half as many BT and bought heavier on the sale items like KCSB/SmB, JBBIB, Bookers and MM/MM46 but I won't lament over it much as plain BT is one of my faves and the savings/difference not counting the Larceny still paid for hotel, gas, food and then some for the 3 day trip. This + my previous bunker should last me a very long time (a year if I were to drink a bottle a week, which I don't think I do) and when it eventually starts getting low I expect to do something similar but I may go somewhere closer like Angola or Southbend so I can just do a day trip and not have the hotel expenses.
Here are some pics of the shelves/bottles and the bunkering process.
Random shelf/selection pics of prices:
Here is the end cap sale items at the first store I went to:
Notice the bookers there for $35 and down the main bourbon aisle they had some at 50+ but I am not sure if it was maybe some different batch/proof but I obv bought the sale bottles:
Random food porn of my brunch from yesterday at Sophia's Pancake House:
I ran out of room in the trunk with the full size spare (so I didn't have to deal with the donut if I got a flat) so not pictured here is the last box in my back seat.
Here is the full haul before being carried down to the bunker.
Top shelf + 4 handles of Larceny is all the new stuff I brought home. The 2 boxes on the lower shelf are the previous bunker of 13 closed bottles.
All packed away to hopefully prevent any breakage.