Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Advanced Taster

General Question about Bourbon & Whiskey from Trader Joe's

I was looking at house brand Tennessee Whiskey, Kentucky Bourbon and Irish Whiskey at Trader Joe's this morning. There is basically no info on the bottles that ID the Distiller or even who bottles them. The only one having any statement, is the Irish Whiskey that states it is 8yo.. The all sell for $24.99 in my area.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? If so, what are your thoughts? Are they worthy buys?

Another person who was also there and picked up a bottle of the house brand Irish Whiskey, mentioned to me, that is was very, very good.
    Real men, only needs six things in their life, Bourbon, Whiskey, Rye, Women, Cigars & Bacon!

Connoisseur

Re: General Question about Bourbon & Whiskey from Trader Joe's

Pretty sure the bourbon is from Barton. Considering you can buy Barton for about $14, I'd probably just go that route.

Connoisseur

I haven't tried any of them, but I guess that doesn't stop me from voicing an opinion. Of the three the only one I'd be inclined to try is an 8 year Irish whiskey. For that price, it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a shot? But for around $24.99 or less there are known quantities you can buy in both the bourbon and Tennessee whiskey realms that are tasty and perfectly good buys. With what we know of sourcing, what are the chances you're "trading up" by getting that NDP bottle? And it's not like any of your guests are going to ooh and aah over the prestige of a Trader Joe's label (not that they don't have some fine products).

Advanced Taster

Eagle Rare and Evan Williams Single Barrel. Both under $30. Not sure there's a better $20 something bourbon than the EW.

Taster

The quality is hit or miss and the source can be different for each bottling. Ask Google and you will find a few reviews, but they may be out of date. Might worth a try if you like surprises.

Novice

Have the bourbon and the irish. the bourbon, well, *cough* not a big fan. the irish was good however. I agree that the Evan Williams is MUCH preferred over the bourbon. Plus not that hard to find Dickel 12 for cheaper than 20 here in Socal so it's hard to justify the purchase of the TJ juice.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyflake45 View Post
    I was looking at house brand Tennessee Whiskey, Kentucky Bourbon and Irish Whiskey at Trader Joe's this morning. There is basically no info on the bottles that ID the Distiller or even who bottles them. The only one having any statement, is the Irish Whiskey that states it is 8yo.. The all sell for $24.99 in my area.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? If so, what are your thoughts? Are they worthy buys?

Another person who was also there and picked up a bottle of the house brand Irish Whiskey, mentioned to me, that is was very, very good.
    The bourbon is distilled by Barton. I wasn't a fan. Originally, the Irish was from Cooley and was quite good, but they lost that source when Beam purchased the distillery and the new one is Bushmills. I haven't had it. I don't think I was aware that they had a TN whiskey, but any sourced TN whiskey is usually from Dickel.