Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Drinking to Drink

Thought David Driscol of K&L had a really great short essay on the current state of whiskey consumption. He pretty much nailed what I have been seeing lately.

See Drinking to Drink part lV -- http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/

what are your thoughts?

Enthusiast

Re: Drinking to Drink

Been thinking about this a lot lately, particularly with my long battle trying to procure the FRSB2014. Honestly, I'm just going to find some store selects I like, buy a bunch, and a case of Heaven Hill Gold Label BIB when I'm feeling less fancy and anytime I think about chasing bourbon I'm going to chase it down in my cellar and drink it.

Pretty much did this the entire read:

Connoisseur

I'm not in a position to notice trends like that, but his take is consistent with what I've been doing lately. At some point, I got sick of trying to track down hard to find bottles an have focused on drinking what I already have and what is readily available. It has been much more fun. With private barrel picks and impulse purchases, I still acquire faster than I drink, but the bleeding has slowed.
    Epicurean in the ATL - Atlanta-Based Food, Whiskey & Cocktail Blog

Virtuoso

whooops... hit the wrong button. Have to try to get back to this later.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Was sipping on the last few ounces of a bottle of VOB BIB "6" and making some notes for the BOTM thread (in case I post them) while I browsed "New Posts". Ended up here. Like a lot of us, I do get excited when something "new" AND "good" (that is, well-respected by more than a few SB persons) comes along - change is nice, sometimes. But, I don't chase much - if it's on the shelf when I'm making a regular restocking run, I'll pick it up. I don't drive or call all over anymore. Rarely, I will special order (but thanks, Bill and Kevin, for being there when I do). IOW, I keep a short written list of nonroutine things to watch for, but if none of them are there, I'll buy the basic supplies I was restocking, anyway (edit: and be pretty happy with that). Mr. Driscoll's older/younger distinction also rang true. When I see some law school students reaching for the Seagram's 7 in the store closest to me, there's no way I'm going to stop them and suggest they buy VOB instead. And, since I'm an old faht, there's no way they'd ask my opinion, anyway, for fear I'd go all crotchety on them.

Guru

I tend to believe or agree with what he's saying to a certain extent. Of course some of the "new" guys (like me) who dive in head first will still want to at least taste some of these "holy grail" bottles. After having tasted S-W Pappy, VOF, Centennial, dusty Turkey, OGD, etc. I'm quite content and will be okay once my stash is gone. There are plenty of perfectly good, and some great, bourbons being made and sold right now, and I'm not talking about limited editions or high priced premium brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in WashDC View Post
    I don't drive or call all over anymore.

Man, I did. I drove to and called at least 200 stores over the last 2 years. Mostly dusty hunting, but also looking for "special" releases. After I finally got some PVW 15 and 20 at retail prices (I wasn't going to spend $400 on a bottle of PVW!) that all stopped. Very abruptly I might add. I realized that it was not worth the hunt at all. It's good whiskey, but so are many other bourbons sitting on the shelves right now.

Now I'm just focusing on drinking what I have and getting a few bottles of what I know I like (which is almost everything ) here and there.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 07-10-2014 at 15:02.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

Probably a good reason why cautious growth in capacity is prudent - people will always chase the next great thing and tastes diversify - the whiskey bubble may not burst, but substantial air could still come out of the balloon. Even here on SB there are forums to other spirits.
    Mark

Disciple

I buy to drink period. If I'm lucky enough to get a "hot" bottle great, if not fine. I just love me some great Bourbon and rye.

There are plenty of both available to me.

Amen.

Guru

I'm happy with my regular stuff. Sorta like the guy was going to the movies and when asked what was playing answered Gone With The Wind.

Thought you would've seen that by now.

Oh yes, I've seen it 17 times.

Then why watch it again?

Because I know I will like it.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

It's like anything - just keep your interests in balance. With enough time, effort, and money, anything is possible. Everyone, old vet or not, should consider at what point expending himself in these three areas is no longer worth it.

I "collect" bottles, sure. But for myself, to drink, some undetermined number of years down the road. I feel like this is a good middle ground between the two types of hobbyists David is describing in that article.

If I were solely of the new-bourbon guy type, I would apparently give up on a dream to taste all of the previous releases of Parker's Heritage. Fuck that. I wanna try em because they're going to be awesome and I want each one of those experiences.