Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Seattle and Washington Area Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    PSA:

Buffalo Trace Master Distiller Harlen Wheatley will be at the Issaquah BevMo Thursday afternoon from 2-5pm.
    The issaquah store is in my neighborhood, but sadly I work regular hours

Guru

Woodinville Whiskey set to release Bourbon aged in standard sized barrels (almost 4yrs old):

We're excited to announce our 2013 special release date! On Saturday, December 7th, 2013 we will be releasing our "2013 Limited Collector's Edition Bourbon." This special release will be the first 5 barrels of whiskey we ever made at Woodinville Whiskey Co. We have 207 bottles of a bourbon that has rye as the flavoring grain, and 388 bottles of bourbon that has wheat as the flavoring grain. It has been aging in standard sized barrels for almost 4 years. This collector's edition bottle features a custom pewter label and custom display box. Doors will open at 7am and we'll have coffee and doughnuts for all at 6am. The retail price for a 750ml bottle including all tax is $149.95 with a limit of 1 bottle per person. Thanks and we look forward to seeing you!

Photo from Woodinville Whiskey FB post https://www.facebook.com/woodinvillewhiskeyco
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Well, we do get a box and free doughnuts.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Well, we do get a box and free doughnuts.
    Don't forget the coffee. This is Seattle after all ;-)

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Woodinville Whiskey set to release Bourbon aged in standard sized barrels (almost 4yrs old):

We're excited to announce our 2013 special release date! On Saturday, December 7th, 2013 we will be releasing our "2013 Limited Collector's Edition Bourbon." This special release will be the first 5 barrels of whiskey we ever made at Woodinville Whiskey Co. We have 207 bottles of a bourbon that has rye as the flavoring grain, and 388 bottles of bourbon that has wheat as the flavoring grain. It has been aging in standard sized barrels for almost 4 years. This collector's edition bottle features a custom pewter label and custom display box. Doors will open at 7am and we'll have coffee and doughnuts for all at 6am. The retail price for a 750ml bottle including all tax is $149.95 with a limit of 1 bottle per person. Thanks and we look forward to seeing you!

3yo whiskey for $149? Line forms at 6am? What a f*cking joke.

Guru

If micros can't do it cheaper than that then they simply need not do it.

That being said, idiots will be queued up to get some.

Guru

Seattle and Washington Area Thread

I tasted some at the Bourbon Bash - it's good stuff but I don't feel like waking up early to stand in line to pay ~$185 for it. It stood toe to toe with the releases from the Majors but it obviously still has a ways to go price-wise.

I think it's a great milestone for them but I hope future releases are more reasonably priced.

This bottle is a collectors item to me.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

It stood toe to toe with the releases from the Majors...
    That is a huge statement, CW. I take "toe-to-toe to the majors" to infer the Major's "equal". In "as good as". Also, I take that to mean it "tasted" like a bourbon? And, not a whiskey taste. Majors is a pretty big category. Can you shed some insight on what you mean? So you know where I'm coming from, I've tasted some micro bourbons that I could drink, and less that I could say I enjoy, and only one that resembled having the taste profile of bourbon as we know it. Please know i am not challenging your opinion, but rather, sincerely interested in your additional thoughts and comments.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Seattle and Washington Area Thread

Ok, let me say that I have no affiliation with WW Co. I had it at bourbon fest type thing that was hosted by a local steakhouse.

All the players were there and available for tasting:

BTAC
    4R
    Van Winkle
    Willett
    etc etc etc

So... When I say toe to toe with the majors, what I'm trying to say is it didn't taste like a micro Bourbon wannabe to me (I'm not a fan of the stuff the little guys have been putting out in general - there are exceptions ofcourse).

Even after sampling all the limited allocation bourbons & ryes, I was pleasantly surprised that the bottle Woodinville Whiskey produced from under the table was as good as it was (yes, it tasted like a bourbon). I'm not saying it was as good or better than the limited allocation whiskies I sampled but it was certainly on par or better than most of the standard bottlings from the Majors that day.

Is it worth $185 for a bottle? Not to me but they've come a long way from their micro-barreled whiskies (which I did not enjoy).

Guru

So as drinkable as a $20 bottle then? :P