Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Seattle and Washington Area Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Anybody want to go to the SMWSA Extravaganza on Friday? (11/8)
    Sadly I am not, the funds are too low currently to make this work. I went last year and had a blast, one of my favorite drams was a 30 year Old Pulteney. One of the friends I went with won the "grand" prize in the raffle, which ended up being a box of Macanudo cigars so it worked out well. I assume your going? My wifes family are members of the Rainier club so we attend events somewhat regularly but this time the money is just not there.

Guru

Stopped by TotalWine tonight and had a chance to meet Harlen Wheatley - had a good chat and couple of interesting facts that were news to me (may not be news to you):

- Ancient Ancient Age 10yr is being discontinued
    - Saz18 has about a year or so left before being switched over to BT distillate (will remain at current proof)
    - Sazerac is getting into the China market in more ways than I thought... Apparently, Mao Tai is a part of that strategy
    - BT is making 10x's the rye today than they were 4 years ago
    - They liked the French Oak experiment enough to continue it (they have about 40 barrels purchased for this aging)

And something not news to me is that it's always fun to geek out about whisky - it was great to meet BT's Master Distiller in person and he was was gracious in answering my questions.
    Ugh. Oh well may grab one or two AAAs this wknd. If they're not already gone by then.

Good to know a timetable on the Saz18. Ditto obv getting that if and when ya can.

Guru

French Oak eh? Well, I'm a broad minded kinda guy.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Anybody want to go to the SMWSA Extravaganza on Friday? (11/8)
    Wish I could, but had conflicting plans a long time ago. Assuming you are going, I look forward to hearing your summary of the event.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    Wish I could, but had conflicting plans a long time ago. Assuming you are going, I look forward to hearing your summary of the event.
    Actually, the wife booked childcare and date night so I'm doing something else too
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Stopped by TotalWine tonight and had a chance to meet Harlen Wheatley.
    I had a similar experience talking to Harlen at the Flat Iron Grill whisky paired dinner on Wednesday. Friendly guy to talk to, very knowledgeable and a great representative for the business. I also heard about AAA 10 year being discontinued, asked the same question about Saz18 and got the same answer, and got the impression that the Van Winkle products are more BT controlled than JVW advertises and others may want to believe.

He said this is his 3rd visit to the Seattle market. I hope it was successful enough that he makes the trip more often in the future. And now I want to meet Jim Rutledge!

Enthusiast

It's official, the Weller shortage has come to Washington.

I was at Total Wine in Bellevue today and noticed the Weller 12 was missing from the shelf, and only 2 bottles of OWA. I asked an employee who looked up stock on Weller 12 and said that only 4 bottles were available in the entire state (Vancouver and Spokane), and only a little more of OWA. Both SKUs had an ETA of March 2014 for new stock, and Total Wine is surprisingly accurate with their ETA, at least in Washington State.

BevMo doesn't stock any Weller products and I haven't seen it at any other popular liquor stores, so as far as I know TW is our only (reasonable) source for Weller products. Glad I have a deep bunker on both!

Guru

Seattle and Washington Area Thread

Clearview was blowing out WSR at a good price but their W12 price was on the ridiculous end of the pricing spectrum.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 12-29-2013 at 10:49.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

New Seattle area member here. I've noticed the same: the Weller products that most like to compare to the Van Winkle products are suddenly in short supply. They were in stock just a couple weeks ago, but suddenly are not any longer.

Guru

maybe the 'poor mans van winkle' story has caught on...