Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Seattle and Washington Area Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    3yo whiskey for $149? Line forms at 6am? What a f*cking joke.
    My initial thought was close to this, but I wouldn't have posted it verbatim.

My feeling is that there is _less_ value for "first" when it comes to making a consumable product. I hope they learned a few things along the way to improve upon, which makes the "first edition" is not necessarily the best product. It's just new, young bourbon with no reputation.

I think Woodinville Whiskey Co. paid too much attention to Garrison Brothers' business model.

Cool label though.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    I think Woodinville Whiskey Co. paid too much attention to Garrison Brothers' business model.
    Yep, the micros charge $60 to $75 for 2 year and less stuff so when they finally put out something with some decent age, they must think OMG we can get $175 for this. Good for them if they can get it; I'll pass.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Ok, let me say that I have no affiliation with WW Co. I had it at bourbon fest type thing that was hosted by a local steakhouse.

All the players were there and available for tasting:

BTAC
    4R
    Van Winkle
    Willett
    etc etc etc

So... When I say toe to toe with the majors, what I'm trying to say is it didn't taste like a micro Bourbon wannabe to me (I'm not a fan of the stuff the little guys have been putting out in general - there are exceptions ofcourse).

Even after sampling all the limited allocation bourbons & ryes, I was pleasantly surprised that the bottle Woodinville Whiskey produced from under the table was as good as it was (yes, it tasted like a bourbon). I'm not saying it was as good or better than the limited allocation whiskies I sampled but it was certainly on par or better than most of the standard bottlings from the Majors that day.

Is it worth $185 for a bottle? Not to me but they've come a long way from their micro-barreled whiskies (which I did not enjoy).
    Thanks, CW. I appreciate your comments. Even saying that it tasted like a bourbon is a monumental step for the micros in my opinion. Maybe, there is hope for that segment. I certainly wouldn't mind a taste at a Gazebo table some time in the future... Christian!!!!!!!!! Get your butt up there, and take one for the team!!!!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Hmmm, I stood in line for both their first release (micro barrel bourbon and american whiskey) and for their second (rye) but missed the third (micro barrel mashbill number 9). If the bottle was more around the $100 mark I'd probably do it, mostly out of the desire to support our local businesses and encourage them to keep up the good work. I actually really enjoy their rye and personally find it worth the $50 a bottle. Sure, if I can get it Rittenhouse is nice but the WW rye drinks so much differently. I'm not a rye connoisseur (maybe obvious) so I can't compare this to the greats, but to me it's just a darn good drink and makes a great sazerac. I can hardly get Glenfiddich 12 for $50 in this state so the WW price is not bad.

All that being said, I'm still not going to get a $150 bottle of their first straight bourbon release

Guru

Stopped by TotalWine tonight and had a chance to meet Harlen Wheatley - had a good chat and couple of interesting facts that were news to me (may not be news to you):

- Ancient Ancient Age 10yr is being discontinued
    - Saz18 has about a year or so left before being switched over to BT distillate (will remain at current proof)
    - Sazerac is getting into the China market in more ways than I thought... Apparently, Mao Tai is a part of that strategy
    - BT is making 10x's the rye today than they were 4 years ago
    - They liked the French Oak experiment enough to continue it (they have about 40 barrels purchased for this aging)

And something not news to me is that it's always fun to geek out about whisky - it was great to meet BT's Master Distiller in person and he was was gracious in answering my questions.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-06-2013 at 18:11.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Stopped by TotalWine tonight and had a chance to meet Harlen Wheatley - had a good chat and couple of interesting facts that were news to me (may not be news to you):

- Ancient Ancient Age 10yr is being discontinued
    - Saz18 has about a year or so left before being switched over to BT distillate (will remain at current proof)
    - Sazerac is getting into the China market in more ways than I thought... Apparently, Mao Tai is a part of that strategy
    - BT is making 10x's the rye today than they were 4 years ago
    - They liked the French Oak experiment enough to continue it (they have about 40 barrels purchased for this aging)

And something not news to me is that it's always fun to geek out about bourbon - it was great to meet BT's Master Distiller in person and he was was gracious in answering my questions.
    Will the Saz18 be the same age? Or is the BT whiskey younger?

As for the french oak thing, that must make you happy

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Will the Saz18 be the same age? Or is the BT whiskey younger?

As for the french oak thing, that must make you happy
    At least 18yrs old for the BT rye in the new Sazerac 18. And yes, I'm happy about the french oak thing being continued :-)
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-06-2013 at 18:17.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Thanks for the info Johnny.

Did you ask if they were going to bring back a 10yr. wheater?
    Last edited by smknjoe; 11-06-2013 at 18:27.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Thanks for the info Johnny.

Did you ask if they were going to bring back a 10yr. wheater?
    I didn't ask about that Joe...

He did say he couldn't remember if there's any old stock of Barton rye laying around.

Guru

Anybody want to go to the SMWSA Extravaganza on Friday? (11/8)