Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Guru
    Hey DA-

Were those ECBP's 134.2's?

Thx for posting up the 411.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by suntour View Post
    Any SBers in the Vancouver/Portland metro area?

I wonder if there's anything decent lurking across the border we may not be able to get here. I'd definitely pay the premium to get Weller 12.
    There's a Total Wine & BevMo in Vancouver so I'm going to guess and say yes. You can also check inventory online & pre purchase for pickup too.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Re: Seattle and Washington Area Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Hey DA-

Were those ECBP's 134.2's?

Thx for posting up the 411.
    Yes. I haven't seen anything else out here.

Advanced Taster

Time for a little rant about Washington: Visiting California and really surprised by the liquor price. Total Wine has Booker's for $59.99 in Washington and $49.99 in California. Tax in CA came out to approx. $3.50 for a total price of ~$52.50. In Washington you pay $2.83 Liter Tax at 20.5% Spirit Tax so your bottle is $59.99+$2.83 + $12.30 = $75.12! I just wonder is Washington realizes that this tax drives business out of the state? I buy the majority of my bottles online and while traveling now so Washington gets very little of my tax dollar. The ones who pay the majority are the lower end consumers who can't get out of state or buy online. Good job Washington!

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by NWBourbonDrinker View Post
    Time for a little rant about Washington: Visiting California and really surprised by the liquor price. Total Wine has Booker's for $59.99 in Washington and $49.99 in California. Tax in CA came out to approx. $3.50 for a total price of ~$52.50. In Washington you pay $2.83 Liter Tax at 20.5% Spirit Tax so your bottle is $59.99+$2.83 + $12.30 = $75.12! I just wonder is Washington realizes that this tax drives business out of the state? I buy the majority of my bottles online and while traveling now so Washington gets very little of my tax dollar. The ones who pay the majority are the lower end consumers who can't get out of state or buy online. Good job Washington!
    The thing is, the tax is pretty much the same as before the state got out of the retail/distro business. The price hikes are almost entirely due to distributors like Young's & Southern jacking up the prices.

Here's what I wrote a distributor when they tried to pull the blame-the-state-tax argument:

I disagree that the tax structure is the main culprit (I'll concede that our tax rate is high but it has always been high). Let me give you an example:

Ardbeg 10:
    > State-run Retail => $39.11 + 10.84 (tax) = $49.95 total [~27.7% effective tax rate]
    > Total Wine => $46.99 + 20.5% tax ($9.63) + $2.83 (750ml pro-rated Liter Tax) = $59.45 [~26.5% effective tax rate]

I can send you a copy of the spreadsheet from the old state website (3/2012) if you'd like.

As you can see, the effective tax rate actually went down in this case (yes, I understand the Liter tax has a greater effect the lower the retail price of the bottle is, but I typically buy in this price range so this is where the rubber meets the road for me).

What I see (as an industry outsider/regular consumer) is a $10 price increase from the store in the area with the greatest purchasing power and hence should be able to offer the best prices. Where did that extra $10 come from? I'm not trying to blame anybody, but it's just really hard right now as a consumer in this state especially when I see that tax rates aren't really to blame for the price increases.
    Basically, prices increased dramatically overnight when the liquor business privatized.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 08-19-2013 at 08:45.

Advanced Taster

I understand and do not dispute your main point that taxes did not go up in the case of premium brands. I too am curious why the same bottle costs $10 more in Washington at the same retailer before taxes are applied.

The overall point though is that a money grabbing tax rate (one of the highest in the country) drives business out, lowers the overall sector revenue, and therefore lowers the amount of income for the government. It is simply wrong headed. The effect can be seen when crossing over to CA as the liquor warehouses straight across the border cater to Washington residents whom I saw loading up several boxes for their trip back home. A moderate tax rate would be a lot more productive and I bet it would bring in more tax revenue as well.

Guru
    You're right - the taxes still suck regardless ;-)

Advanced Taster

The high cost coming from the distributors is most apparent when you go into a locally-owned store (Wine World, Emerald Spirits, Esquin, Downtown Spirits, etc.). Just some absolutely ridiculous pricing -- Kafkaesque almost.

Just remember, The Party Source usually runs a Cyber Monday deal for $15 flat shipping!

Advanced Taster

What is this special at TPS? I have bought from them but always paid full shipping.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by NWBourbonDrinker View Post
    What is this special at TPS? I have bought from them but always paid full shipping.
    Last year on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, can't remember which one, they had $15.00, flat-rate shipping. I bought six 1.75L bottles and 9 750ml bottles and shipping was $15!