Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: DC Liquor?

  1. #1

    DC Liquor?

    I'm going to DC this coming weekend, and I was wondering if there are any liquor stores I ought to check out. I'd love to get the Abraham Bowman Virginia Limited Edition Whiskey (on Chuck Cowdery's recommendation) if there's any to be had, for instance. Obviously, I'm not expecting anyone to publicly post their prime dusty hunting spots. But, coming from a control state, it'd be nice to get the opportunity to pick up a bottle or two of limited release stuff that I don't normally get access to. Thanks in advance for any tips!

  2. #2

    DC Liquor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMashBill View Post
    I'm going to DC this coming weekend, and I was wondering if there are any liquor stores I ought to check out. I'd love to get the Abraham Bowman Virginia Limited Edition Whiskey (on Chuck Cowdery's recommendation) if there's any to be had, for instance. Obviously, I'm not expecting anyone to publicly post their prime dusty hunting spots. But, coming from a control state, it'd be nice to get the opportunity to pick up a bottle or two of limited release stuff that I don't normally get access to. Thanks in advance for any tips!
    The Abraham Bowman LE bourbon that Chuck mentioned a few weeks back (18 year old 138.6 proof) is long gone. You might be able to find the latest Abraham Bowman release (port finished) though. I don't recall seeing Bowman in many (any?) DC stores, but all of the VA ABCs north of Richmond seem to carry it. Also, many DC liquor stores have websites...I recommend starting there.

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    365

    Re: DC Liquor?

    c2walker is correct about the Bowman. ACE beverage in upper NE is a great store, but well off the beaten path. there are a number of good stores in the Dupont Circle area as well. bad_scientist lives down town, you might PM him for more assistance.

  4. #4

    Re: DC Liquor?

    Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    The Abraham Bowman LE bourbon that Chuck mentioned a few weeks back (18 year old 138.6 proof) is long gone. You might be able to find the latest Abraham Bowman release (port finished) though. I don't recall seeing Bowman in many (any?) DC stores, but all of the VA ABCs north of Richmond seem to carry it. Also, many DC liquor stores have websites...I recommend starting there.
    You will NOT be disappointed by the port-finished Abraham Bowman. It easily competes with the BTAC and Pappy's -- truly sublime stuff.

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,575

    Re: DC Liquor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    c2walker is correct about the Bowman. ACE beverage in upper NE is a great store, but well off the beaten path. there are a number of good stores in the Dupont Circle area as well. bad_scientist lives down town, you might PM him for more assistance.
    When I do manage to get to DC (not anytime soon unfortunately) ACE Beverage is usually one of my stops. I always seem to find something interesting there.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  6. #6
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    downtown DC
    Posts
    759

    Re: DC Liquor?

    You have a few themes you can go with:

    1. Tasting - Jack Rose and Bourbon have the best bourbon/rye selection in bars outside of Kentucky, and probably even counting Kentucky. SW Old Fitzes? Yes. Pappies and BTACs? Of course. Weird WTs? Indeed they do. A few other places have good selections, too, but those are the best.

    2. Willetts - The guy who owns Bourbon and Jack Rose picks a few of them once or twice a year. Some of them make it to retail. I’d recommend trying them at Bourbon or Jack Rose first to decide, but if you do and really want one, I know a few stores that still carry most of last fall’s line, and the three that just came out a couple of weeks ago.

    3. Window shopping or High Rolling - DC *has* everything, but at prices that will make you jump out of your socks, at least for new stuff. If you want to see some really rare stuff and have lots and lots of money you want to spend, I can recommend 3 or 4 places.

    4. Mid-shelf bourbons at reasonable prices - If you like EC12, ETL, stuff like that in the mid-range, then Montgomery County DLC stores have a limited selection but amazing prices for bourbon and scotch. You can search their website and get inventories for each store here: http://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/dlcsearch/

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    downtown DC
    Posts
    759

    Re: DC Liquor?

    Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    The Abraham Bowman LE bourbon that Chuck mentioned a few weeks back (18 year old 138.6 proof) is long gone. You might be able to find the latest Abraham Bowman release (port finished) though. I don't recall seeing Bowman in many (any?) DC stores, but all of the VA ABCs north of Richmond seem to carry it. Also, many DC liquor stores have websites...I recommend starting there.
    As Chris mentioned, the 138.6 proof is gone, but I saw the 140+ proof Abraham Bowman in DC (yes, actually in a DC store) tonight, so I expect it's around at a few places. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! It's just awful stuff.

  8. #8

    DC Liquor?

    Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    As Chris mentioned, the 138.6 proof is gone, but I saw the 140+ proof Abraham Bowman in DC (yes, actually in a DC store) tonight, so I expect it's around at a few places. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! It's just awful stuff.
    I too am not a fan of the 140+ proof 17 year bourbon, but I do know a couple fans. Only buy if you like wood and A LOT of heat.

  9. #9
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,101

    Re: DC Liquor?

    I used to go to DC every Spring for a seminar and would drop by Central Liquor, that place still open?

  10. #10
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DelMarVa
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: DC Liquor?

    Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    I too am not a fan of the 140+ proof 17 year bourbon, but I do know a couple fans. Only buy if you like wood and A LOT of heat.
    Ding ding ding. That would be me Chris.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Just at the liquor store...
    By NickAtMartinis in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 20:37
  2. GTS and US liquor laws
    By jcusey in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 13:13
  3. Corn Liquor
    By Theron Volkman in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 07:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top