Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC Liquor?

Re: DC Liquor?

Thanks for all the suggestions! Really appreciate it. The 140 proof Bowman is definitely not in the cards, as I'm going to have to fly home with whatever I buy, and >70% alcohol is hazmat. Prices to make me jump out of my socks is tough. The Willetts route sounds promising/fun, though -- I might try a couple of those. To tell the truth, even if I don't end up buying anything, it'd be fun just to do some browsing and talking with enthusiastic sales staff, if there are any to be had. The prices and selection here in Oregon are fine, but the biggest casualty in the state store system is the curatorial attitude that a private store owner who's doing it as a labor of love might take (think the good folks at K&L, whose blog I very much enjoy.)

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMashBill View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Really appreciate it. The 140 proof Bowman is definitely not in the cards, as I'm going to have to fly home with whatever I buy, and >70% alcohol is hazmat. Prices to make me jump out of my socks is tough. The Willetts route sounds promising/fun, though -- I might try a couple of those. To tell the truth, even if I don't end up buying anything, it'd be fun just to do some browsing and talking with enthusiastic sales staff, if there are any to be had. The prices and selection here in Oregon are fine, but the biggest casualty in the state store system is the curatorial attitude that a private store owner who's doing it as a labor of love might take (think the good folks at K&L, whose blog I very much enjoy.)
    You can find enthusiasric and knowledgeable retail staff at Schneider's and Ace. The bartenders and owner of Jack Rose and Bourbon are big-time enthusiasts and can talk at length about whiskeys.

Squire - yes, Central Liquors still is here. They've transformed into the same overpriced "upscale" crap store that you see every 5 blocks or so downtown. THEY'RE CHARGING $250 FOR THE VAN WINKLE 12 YEAR!
    Last edited by bad_scientist; 01-11-2013 at 04:45.

Enthusiast

Meant to jump back in and add the Jack Rose comments; glad Ben had me covered. I cannot state strongly enough that any whisk(e)y fan who visits DC needs to plan a visit there. You owe it to yourself.

Guru

I'm not a big wood fan but as for heat I do have ice and water.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Ding ding ding. That would be me Chris.
    I'm a fan also. Not quite as good as the 18 year old but if you like oak. This is some great stuff.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    You can find enthusiasric and knowledgeable retail staff at Schneider's and Ace. The bartenders and owner of Jack Rose and Bourbon are big-time enthusiasts and can talk at length about whiskeys.

Squire - yes, Central Liquors still is here. They've transformed into the same overpriced "upscale" crap store that you see every 5 blocks or so downtown. THEY'RE CHARGING $250 FOR THE VAN WINKLE 12 YEAR!

Saw this tweet, from yesterday, earlier: @BellWineShop: We have two bottles of PAPPY VAN WINKLE 20 year! We can't hold bottles, so come visit us before they're gone!

uh, they're asking $699 a bottle. OUCH! They may be there for a while at that price.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by matthewdc View Post
    Saw this tweet, from yesterday, earlier: @BellWineShop: We have two bottles of PAPPY VAN WINKLE 20 year! We can't hold bottles, so come visit us before they're gone!

uh, they're asking $699 a bottle. OUCH! They may be there for a while at that price.

Ladies and gentlemen, do you need any more examples of what it's like in DC? It's not only whiskey - hyped concerts sell out in minutes that take weeks or months to sell out in Philly and New York, simply because everyone wants something limited to show status.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, do you need any more examples of what it's like in DC? It's not only whiskey - hyped concerts sell out in minutes that take weeks or months to sell out in Philly and New York, simply because everyone wants something limited to show status.
    Unfortunately this is very true. It also means that most people there have no knowledge of the things that they desire. There's a liquor store downtown with a prominent window display of expensive whiskey (presumably not for sale). They have a few Pappy's and the entire BTAC. All of the BTAC bottles are being displayed sideways.

Guru

Capitol's prices were high 20 years ago when I was shopping there but they had a good selection.

Well, so I got back from DC, and I ended up having a great time. I did a bit of bottle shopping, and even found the 140+ proof Bowman for 70 bucks (thanks Matt!) In spite of the warnings, I probably would have picked it up for that price, except that I couldn't have brought it on the plane home (too high a proof to fly with.) I do like the big, old bourbons (I am enjoying the latest Stagg, for instance), and it would have been worth a try.

I stopped by a couple other places (Schneiders, in particular, was quite nice) but didn't find anything that I wanted to spring for. Part of the problem was that I was just traveling with a carry-on, and if I bought anything, I'd have to pay like $30 to check my bag, so anything I picked up would have to clear that bar. So I passed on a Handy, a selected single barrel of Four Roses, and a couple Rittenhouse BIB's that I might have otherwise considered picking up. Schneiders will mail to OR, though, so I might subscribe to their email newsletter (if they do one) and just order stuff that way if anything juicy comes up (like a cask strength 4 roses, for instance.)

No, the whiskey highlight was a trip to Jack Rose, which was every bit what you guys sold it as. The wife and I went there after spending the day at the national zoo, and had a fantastic meal. I got a flight of 3 Willetts selections, all 8 or 9 years old, all cask strength. It was really fun to see how the various expressions differed, and to pick out the various notes. Having them right there to compare and contrast was really helpful in seeing what each was doing. My favorite was one they dubbed "Double Bean". Allison ordered creme brulee for dessert, which we split, and having that with my whiskey knocked my socks off -- the vanilla and caramelized sugar received the bourbon flavors so lovingly. It was an expensive outing, but really fun.

Thanks again for the advice!