Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 120+ proof help

Taster

120+ proof help

I freely admit to being new to the world of Bourbon...so far, the last six months have found me adding bottles at a rapid rate to my "bunker". Favorites include Angels Envy, Pappy 15 and some Four Roses....these are all "easy" drinking with either a little water or an ice cube. Coming from a wine centric background, these drinks allow me to test my pallate, identify layers / flavors etc and really savor. However, I have purchased some bottles ( Bookers, Angels Envy Cask, Willett 4 year, and a few more ) that are 120+ proof. I'm having a hard time getting past the alcohol burn. How do you more experienced bourbon drinkers get past this....do you add water / ice / let it breath in the glass for a while. I'm sure there is a way to enjoy 120 proof as much as 85-90, i just haven't found it.

Connoisseur

Re: 120+ proof help

If you want to sip it at barrel proof, just hold it in your mouth longer. Small slow sips that are gently rolled around will allow your mouth to generate some extra saliva to keep it going down smooth.

If that doesn't work, start adding water. Use an online proof calculator or just add a teaspoon at a time.

Trey

Advanced Taster

I’ve given up fighting with my bourbon. Add water until it is enjoyable. I have noticed with time I have adapted to the higher proof. But some days, I just have to add a teaspoon of water to my George T Stagg.

Enthusiast

It's fun to try a little sip at barrel proof, in the manner stated by Trey. For regular drinking though, add water, or ice if that is your thing. 120+ proof, for me too, is just high a proof to enjoy without adding water.

Disciple

The alcohol seems to bother some and not others. I drink everything at bottle proof and find that water only takes away from the flavor. It's just a personal preference.

There seems to be somewhat of a correlation between handling spicy food and high proof bourbon, but it's still just my theory.

Virtuoso

Most of my favorite whiskies are 118+ (Booker's, GTS, Glenfarclas 105, Aberlour A'bunadh, various full proof single casks) and I find that some days I'm more ready to go than others. Sometimes the juice just goes down smooth, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't I'll add water or ice (depending) or I'll just drink something at a lower proof that day. Some whiskies I don't have any problem adding ice to, like Booker's, and some I try to only add drops of water to, like GTS. I can buy Booker's for $45 any day of the week so I don't think twice about "watering it down" if I decide I need/want to. But for certain drinks that are "irreplaceable" like the annual releases or single cask bottles of scotch I try to drink them close to neat or not drink them at all. Just my approach and opinion.

Advanced Taster

120+ proof help

I have used the method described by Trey with great success with barrel proof bourbons and single malts. I just adjust the volume per sip after the first sip to get that correct saliva dilution. The sip quantity varies greatly for me from bottle to bottle based on style, mashbill, age, and proof.

The only bourbon this has failed to work with is the Abraham Bowman 17yr old (~147.9 proof). I just can't enjoy this bottle with any method I try.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by atfree View Post
    The only bourbon this has failed to work with is the Abraham Bowman 17yr old (~147.9 proof). I just can't enjoy this bottle with any method I try.
    These 140+ Bowman's all seem to be overoaked tannin bombs, which I am a huge fan of.

Virtuoso

I find it's also helpful to finish the evening with a big proof Bourbon rather than start with it. Start with lower proof and work your way up.

Connoisseur

Some whiskies become even better with a little water!

And I'd suggest not adding it by the teaspoon. An eyedropper is your friend, add slowly, gently swirl, stir or slosh the mix in the glass, and then sip to check if it's better.