Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 120+ proof help

Connoisseur

Re: 120+ proof help

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    These 140+ Bowman's all seem to be overoaked tannin bombs, which I am a huge fan of.
    It's not the tannins as much as it is the "artificial sweetener" taste I got from it. It was sickly sweet and tasted synthetic.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    Some whiskies become even better with a little water!

And I'd suggest not adding it by the teaspoon. An eyedropper is your friend, add slowly, gently swirl, stir or slosh the mix in the glass, and then sip to check if it's better.
    Unless you start with a specific proof that you want to get to and use the proof formula to determine how much water you need then the eyedropper technique was the way I learned to do it as well. I always keep one around the bar!

And if an eyedropper isn't handy you can always dip a (hopefully clean) finger in water and add a drop at a time that way!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I think half the fun of higher proof stuff is tasting them at different proofs. Get an eye dropper or a kids medicine syringe at the drug store. There's a proof calculator on this website and there are plenty of applications out there to help. Typically I will try at full strength, then I like to compare it at 107, 100, and sometimes 90. You'll eventually find a sweet spot or just decide that full throttle is the way to go. GTS is awesome stuff, but at roughly 72 percent it is a beast, even down at 100 proof it has great mouth feel and layers of complexity. Besides, by adding water you essentially get more out of your bottle. There is no right or wrong way, only your personal way.

i will say a syringe or eye dropper with measurements will help you track your expiramentation.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    The alcohol seems to bother some and not others. I drink everything at bottle proof and find that water only takes away from the flavor. It's just a personal preference.

There seems to be somewhat of a correlation between handling spicy food and high proof bourbon, but it's still just my theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    I find it's also helpful to finish the evening with a big proof Bourbon rather than start with it. Start with lower proof and work your way up.
    Along with these fine posts, I would also add that higher proof tolerance / enjoyment comes with a more experienced palate. Since you are new to whiskey, give your palate time to mature and work your way into the higher proofs. Before long you'll be enjoying those 120+ proofers without much problem.

For me, water / ice is virtually never added. Maybe a few drops of H2O but not often. Like Sky, I too drink at bottle proof as that is where the flavor is generally at its best.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Guru

I never add Ice. Ice, to me just makes anything of substantial proof taste like cold ethanol. I never got the ice thing.

I rarely add water. I do the small sip/saliva thing with GTS etc.

And I must be the odd man out because I do not like really spicy food. Smokey foods? Yes! I grill steaks over an oak fire and dice them up to use in my chili. But keep your habinerios (sp) out of my chili and the ice out of everything but the occasional Jameson's

Disciple

Fact of the matter is there is no right or wrong answer to the original query,drink the whisk(e)y at what ever proof suits your own personal tastes.I personally drink everything at proof or with very little water added.I recommend getting a graduated cylinder and use the proof calculator and slowly accustom yourself to higher proofs gradually over time if you are inclined to do so.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Disciple

8 drops of water per ounce of whiskey used to be my magic ration for just about everything, but when I started drinking more I got lazy and decided I didn't need it. BTW, if I were designing a perfect bourbon for myself, the proof would be in the 90 - 105 range. It's not that there aren't 130*s I don't like, but it's outside my sweet spot.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Fact of the matter is there is no right or wrong answer to the original query,drink the whisk(e)y at what ever proof suits your own personal tastes.I personally drink everything at proof or with very little water added.I recommend getting a graduated cylinder and use the proof calculator and slowly accustom yourself to higher proofs gradually over time if you are inclined to do so.
    The only thing I would add to this great answer is: if you decide to drink it neat, the higher the proof the smaller the sip (at 120+ the amount of liquid going into my mouth is a drop that would come out of an eye dropper)

Apprentice

I tend not to use water or ice, either. I just take smaller sips and roll it around longer as was previously posted. I will on occasion add a few drops of room temperature water but this is more a function of seeing if it will "open up" any flavors from a whiskey that I haven't tried before.

Guru

I almost always enjoy my bourbon neat even the 140+ GTS. That said, the first PHC over cracked ice is wonderful.