Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: No age statement on Old Overholt anymore....

Ain't it the truth Tom, and to think three decades ago we took Overholt for granted. I don't blame Beam for dumbing down the product and keeping the price up, they're in business to make money, but I can't help wondering if they're pulling a Taylor/Crow act here to move customers away from the baseline Ryes and on to their higher priced Ryes.

Advanced Taster

I picked up my first bottle of OO a few weeks ago. Considering the $10 price I felt it was a really decent pour. After reading this thread I checked my bottle and it has a 4 year age statement. I plan on picking up a few more of the 4 year old bottles since they are going the way of the dinosaurs.
    Jim

Connoisseur

I visited my favorite store today and bought their last two 4-year bottles. They had some of the newer 3-year stuff, too, but I haven't tried it. I paid $12/750, tax included. I like this rye quite a bit, it's easy drinking and a good ginger-ale rye. I always get a taste of gum that I haven't found elsewhere. I worry, tho, if maybe they used up old 4-year labels on the first release of the 3-year juice. I guess I'll know when i taste it.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 02-04-2013 at 11:40.

Guru

No, the law doesn't permit the label to state an age greater than the youngest whisky in the bottle.

Connoisseur

. . . and no one ever breaks the law, as we all know.

The Beam Global site still advertises it as 4 years old. Wikipedia has it as 3 years old, but shows a bottle of the 4 year old.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 02-04-2013 at 16:52.

Guru

I'm confident Beam's legal advisers take the law very seriously.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

TTB only cares about the label, it doesn't care about the web site.

Beam is now managing a portfolio of straight ryes and even though they make way more straight rye than anyone else, I'm confident they are selling everything that's coming through the pipeline. They adjust their forecasts about every six months. I'm sure taking a year off Overholt's age allowed them to free up a significant amount of whiskey in the pipeline for the higher profit brands.

They may also be planning and preparing for some new ones, undoubtedly at the top end. Basil Hayden's has been booming lately. It's a high-rye bourbon and Basil's grandson, who created the Old Grand-Dad brand, also sold an Old Grand-Dad Rye. Is a Basil Hayden Rye in the works? I wouldn't be surprised.

Along those lines, it's a mistake to assume that Old Overholt is 3 years old just because the label says so. The age statement, after all, means only that all of the whiskey in the bottle is at least 3 years old. It's possible that their ability to use that whiskey in more profitable brands put immediate pressure on them to drop to 3-years immediately, but it more likely means they wanted the flexibility to use whiskey that young if they need to, but generally it will be older.

It could even be that there has been no change in the age profile of the product, but there probably will be going forward. A smart way to make such a change is to change the label but not the product to see if there is any change in sales. Most people don't look at the label, especially consumers of old, bottom shelf brands. Most of the Old Overholt sold is being bought by people who probably have been buying it for 30 years or more. If they notice a flavor change and change their buying habits as a result, Beam will be able to spot and measure that, and react.

Anyway, think about how you would manage a portfolio in which Old Overholt is your youngest and least profitable product when your supply of whiskey is finite.