Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Stitzer-Weller making bourbon again

Looking forward (in how many years?? Long time, right?) to see what comes from this, but not anticipating anything like vintage SW juice. Agree that this will mainly be a marketing ploy - and hope it doesn't taste anything like Bulleit (not bashing Bulleit, but not my cup of tea - er, bourbon).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Looking forward (in how many years?? Long time, right?) to see what comes from this, but not anticipating anything like vintage SW juice. Agree that this will mainly be a marketing ploy - and hope it doesn't taste anything like Bulleit (not bashing Bulleit, but not my cup of tea - er, bourbon).
    I tend to agree. With the increased use of GM corn, future expressions of SW will likely fall short of past production quality and popularity.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HP12 View Post
    I tend to agree. With the increased use of GM corn, future expressions of SW will likely fall short of past production quality and popularity.
    I didn't even think about the changes of corn - great point!

I was thinking along the lines of it not being run by the same people, or in the same way. As others mentioned, big corporations think long and hard about efficiency, and don't recognize that you can engineer the quality OUT of something if you're not careful. Back in Scotland, if a still had a ding or dent in it, when it was time to replace it they would try to replicate that imperfection - just to retain as much of the original characteristic as possible.

Which isn't to say that Diageo doesn't know the business - but that when I think of my favorite whiskies (or even distilleries), Diageo isn't in the picture (outside of maybe Caol Ila or Lagavulin, although I believe those were operating when acquired, and hopefully not messed with much since).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Good news but I fear the magic of SW is gone forever.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Back in Scotland, if a still had a ding or dent in it, when it was time to replace it they would try to replicate that imperfection - just to retain as much of the original characteristic as possible.
    Even when new stills are replicated right down to the dings and dents, the spirit can still be different. Don't forget that it is commonly recognized that >50% of the flavour is imparted by the wood. So, even if they manage to distill the same spirit, there is no guarantee the matured whiskey will be the same!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Even when new stills are replicated right down to the dings and dents, the spirit can still be different. Don't forget that it is commonly recognized that >50% of the flavour is imparted by the wood. So, even if they manage to distill the same spirit, there is no guarantee the matured whiskey will be the same!
    Indeed. Might well be better! Unlikely perhaps but you never know. Well, at least not for 8 or 10 years anyway...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

All the tempered expectations in this thread are getting me down. Can't we at least celebrate for one day? Isn't this what we are always asking for? One of the great American distilleries is getting resurrected! This is nothing less than great news! Disappointment in their new product can come later.

Disciple

I'm excited in that there will be another whiskey out there with seemingly a new taste profile from a company with enough $$ to ensure sustainability. However, using the S-W name to me is only borrowing a label from the past, I don't see a strong connection that translates inside the bottle.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    All the tempered expectations in this thread are getting me down. Can't we at least celebrate for one day? Isn't this what we are always asking for? One of the great American distilleries is getting resurrected! This is nothing less than great news! Disappointment in their new product can come later.
    You're right. It is good news that a great American distillery is being brought back from the dead. I'll just have to mail order some whiskey from them when the time comes.

Connoisseur

Stitzer-Weller making bourbon again

Lots of speculation. I will reserve judgement (good or bad) until a product is on the shelves.

Mike