Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Disturbing Trend

There seems to be a disturbing trend. Elijah Craig 18 used to sell for $45 (admittedly underpriced). Now they went from 18 yrs old to 20 years old and now charge $120.I just found out that Jefferson's 18yr. is all gone and will no longer be produced. Instead Jefferson is releasing a 21 year old in the spring. If Jefferson's 18 was in the ballpark of $90, what will the 21 yr cost?

This seems to be a disturbing trend and I guess as long as we still buy it, they will continue to sell it and make as much money as the can. Guess the economy can't be that bad if everyone is spending over $100 on bourbon.
    Last edited by BourbonGuy; 01-14-2013 at 09:19.

Guru

Re: Disturbing Trend

Can't read your post. The letter color is the same grey as the background.

Advanced Taster

sorry...fixed it.

Apprentice

For what its worth the Jefferson 21 year I think is going to be a 21 year old rye, meaning that more than just being more aged and thus more expensive, it won't even be the same stuff that Jefferson 17/18 became famous for, SW wheated bourbon.

Guru

Whether or not it's rye or bourbon, price increases seem to be trendy these days.

Edit: negligent spelling, again.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 01-14-2013 at 09:34.

Connoisseur

As an astute member once stated and rings true; " It won't be any cheaper than it is today". I would add, especially for the extra aged expressions. As popularity soars, so does the prices.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJohnsBarrel View Post
    For what its worth the Jefferson 21 year I think is going to be a 21 year old rye, meaning that more than just being more aged and thus more expensive, it won't even be the same stuff that Jefferson 17/18 became famous for, SW wheated bourbon.
    FWIW, there's a COLA for a 21 bourbon too.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    FWIW, there's a COLA for a 21 bourbon too.
    Definitely didn't see that one but thank you for pointing that out, it will be interesting to see if they price the 21 year old rye at the same level as 21 year old bourbon.

Looks like the 21 year old JPS bourbon loses any mention of SW on the labeling .

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonGuy View Post
    There seems to be a disturbing trend. Elijah Craig 18 used to sell for $45 (admittedly underpriced). Now they went from 18 yrs old to 20 years old and now charge $120.I just found out that Jefferson's 18yr. is all gone and will no longer be produced. Instead Jefferson is releasing a 21 year old in the spring. If Jefferson's 18 was in the ballpark of $90, what will the 21 yr cost?

This seems to be a disturbing trend and I guess as long as we still buy it, they will continue to sell it and make as much money as the can. Guess the economy can't be that bad if everyone is spending over $100 on bourbon.
    Bourbon is cool again, thus popularity is up and quite frankly the general buying public equates quality to age. It doesn't surprise me that these ultra aged bourbons continue to go up in price and popularity. Add in the fact that it seems that some talking head somewhere is always saying this bourbon or that bourbon is now the "best," and you have the current situation we are in now.

The good news is, this is a 2 way street, distilleries continue to ramp up production, so in 5-10 years there may be a glut of whiskey with no buyers if they keep raising the price and running off the average consumers. In my opinion, now is a good time to recognize value in a bottle. Not necessarily "value bottles," but where and when is your breaking point. EC18 to me was never one of my favorites, so EC20 is not something I am going to chase. There are a lot of private bottlings that a very good values out there. You could spend a year or 2 on the 10 recipes of 4 roses if you want to try and outlast the current storm.

The good thing about economics is eventually we will reach an equilibrium, it may mean higher prices, but it will sort itself out.

Virtuoso

I agree with all on this thread thus far & don't foresee any changes in the future as of now...more demand, higher prices. I came across some Hirsch 25yr rye a few days ago at just under $200. Though I had not seen any in a while, my initial reaction was to cringe. However, situated about halfway between HW21 & Ritt 25, I ponder it further. As it further 'evolves' in my mind, I soon find myself almost justifying the price. Now, at this point, I'm just a few steps away from a purchase - IF I had the $$. And, like most, I'll soon figure out a way to find the $$...lol.

Such is a day in the life for a soul addicted with whiskey nervosa (WN) for which there is no cure. The distilleries are knowledgeable of this common affliction & so goes the shelf prices.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard