Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Disturbing Trend

I've noticed whenever Bourbon prices rise across the board they stay higher and I bought my first Bottle of Bourbon about 50 years ago.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I generally will not pay the higher prices. I just don't see a quality increment. To me, Triple A (current issue), 4R Yellow Label, Old Forester 100 proof and Buffalo Trace are as good as bourbon gets and the more expensive stuff is either not as good or at par. I did enjoy buying the wider range when they were cheaper, but not now.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-14-2013 at 13:57.

Guru

Add Barton and Grand Dad my list is the same as Gary's for the same reasons.

Advanced Taster

Sorry, but it seems to me that bourbon is hot. Now the vendor is thinking, I can’t take my bourbon X and just double the price. People would complain and I be known for just wanting more money. So I’ll take the stock I already have, let it sit two more years and jack the price up by double.

If they are REALLY smart, they will cut back production and keep supply low and demand high to justify the cost. When whiskey falls out of favor for the next trend, and they have more supply than they know what to do with, only then will price drop.

Please understand, everyone is entitled to make a living, I have no problem with that. But 18 year old bourbon for $45 that is held for 20 years and is now $120, something isn’t right.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I generally will not pay the higher prices. I just don't see a quality increment. To me, Triple A (current issue), 4R Yellow Label, Old Forester 100 proof and Buffalo Trace are as good as bourbon gets and the more expensive stuff is either not as good or at par. I did enjoy buying the wider range when they were cheaper, but not now.

Gary
    Gary, that principally covers the under $20 segment in my area (BT is in the under $30 segment, and Triple A is only available to me online), and in addition to Squire's suggestions, I might add FC103 and WSR to that bunch. For me, the sweet spot seems to be between $20-$30, with FRSB, FRSmB, ETL, ERSB, EWSB, W12, OWA and OGD114 always having a place in my collection. As long as these stalwarts remain available and priced under $30, I'll be a happy man.

Oh, and I might add that the new Bulleit 10 just showed up at my local Total Wine for $53. Compared to the great bourbons I just listed at under $30, how should Bulleit 10 be priced? IMHO, well under $53 (too bad, as I would like to give it a try). I thought the retail price on the Bulleit 10 was around $45, so not sure where TW is coming up with this price.
    Last edited by jeffrey r; 01-14-2013 at 14:33.

Advanced Taster

Not sure what the problem is. To the OP, just buy up the rest of the EC18 and JPS18 that you can find. What's the big deal?

Guru

BourbonGuy raises a point. In the past major producers would use their older, slower maturing whiskies in the general mix, but now there's more money to be made by bottling them or selling the product off to the NDPs. Can't say I blame them, they made the stuff to be sold, sure they should get the most for it, but not from me.

There will always be value brands of whisky and if the Bourbon producers don't provide them the Canadians will.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I generally will not pay the higher prices. I just don't see a quality increment. To me, Triple A (current issue), 4R Yellow Label, Old Forester 100 proof and Buffalo Trace are as good as bourbon gets and thCDe more expensvsive stuff is either not as good or at par. I did enjoy buying the wider range when they were cheaper, but not now.xxxcc

Gary
    You make a very good point Gary. It seems we all have an everyday pour, that we really like/love in the $20-$30 range, and some even cheaper. It is THE pour that we always have. But every year we have to deal with the FR'S LE's, the BTAC, and the VW'S among a host of others.

I really think the hunt is not worth the reward. Sure we are talking Bourbon of the year, and all that stuff. But, is it really worth 2 probably 3 times the price? I'm thinking not.
    Last edited by Phil T; 01-14-2013 at 16:17.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Guru

As long as the 4R limiteds remain relatively affordable and widely (around here anyhow) available, then I'll always pony up for those. It's a wait and see with virtually all other LEs at this point, however.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    As long as the 4R limiteds remain relatively affordable and widely (around here anyhow) available, then I'll always pony up for those. It's a wait and see with virtually all other LEs at this point, however.
    Based on my sampling of several recent "vintages", I would also be in the market for the OFBB in the future and it has a very nice QPR for me at around $40 or a little less. I hope it stays in that range. I think it also makes a nice gift to others ( a perfect birthday bourbon!) without breaking the bank and despite the somewhat awkward shape for storing the bottle is attractive as well. But then I like wide bottom "ship style" decanters in general.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum