Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Taster

Re: Disturbing Trend

BTW: Praise for Buffalo Trace. While I am complained that may are raising their prices to take advantage of the fact that bourbon is hot, Buffalo Trace still believes in maintaining reasonable pricing. I have not seen Buffalo Trace, Ancient Ancient Age, Blanton's, or any of the Antique Collection go up that much trough the years. Pappy has gone up, but probably more at the retail level where the local store on get three bottles or so and knows he could sell 100.

Disciple

Disturbing Trend

MSRP for PVW took a significant jump this year. BTAC has been steadily climbing too, even in places like Utah where the DABC doesn't know a bottle of GTS from a bottle of Kamchatka vodka. BT is certainly not blameless.
    Jim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonGuy View Post
    I just found out that Jefferson's 18yr. is all gone and will no longer be produced. Instead Jefferson is releasing a 21 year old in the spring. If Jefferson's 18 was in the ballpark of $90, what will the 21 yr cost?
    I cannot call this a disturbing trend. The fact that things age as time passes is entirely self-evident. 2-3 years ago, McClain & Kyne bottled a 17yo bourbon. A year later, they bottled an 18yo bourbon. Now the lot of barrels they bought is a little older and they can bottle it as a 21yo. Aged stocks are disappearing across the board, because 15-20 years ago (5 years ago even), bourbon was still recovering from the bottoming out of the 70s and 80s, and it mostly didn't make sense to lay down bourbon for a future market that may or may not materialize.

So, this 'disturbing trend' you speak of is really just the increasing popularity of American whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Based on my sampling of several recent "vintages", I would also be in the market for the OFBB in the future and it has a very nice QPR for me at around $40 or a little less. I hope it stays in that range. I think it also makes a nice gift to others ( a perfect birthday bourbon!) without breaking the bank and despite the somewhat awkward shape for storing the bottle is attractive as well. But then I like wide bottom "ship style" decanters in general.
    In these parts, OFBB went from $40 two years ago to $45 last year and $55 this year. I've enjoyed past releases when I could find them for $25-$40, but they've lost me at this point. I'm thankful I didn't like the 2012 bottling that I got to taste!

In general, if I'm going to spend over $80 (the price of FRLE and PHC around here), it needs to be CS and unchillfiltered. There are exceptions, but I'm following FR as the bellwether. Straight-from-the barrel private selections of FR aged 8-10 years can be found relatively easily for $55. That's my standard.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Disciple

You can do this yourself. Find old bourbon ads with prices and plug them into an inflation calculator. Here's Old Fitz BIB in a decanter in 1967 for $5.95. That would be paying $40.81 today.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...tzgerald&hl=en

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

I started drinking American whiskey long before I started drinking Scotch whisky, but I started caring about and "collecting" Scotch whisky long before American whiskey. From that perspective I don't have much issue at all with the current and foreseeable pricing for most high end bourbons. This is pretty much the opposite of the old-school guys who were buying $30 PVW by the case (or whatever the "back in my day" specific is).

I think it's a tiny bit of belly-achin'. Bourbon is still a drink of the people, as has been mentioned in this thread. You can get Buffalo Trace, which in my opinion is the bees knees. for $25 most anywhere. Nobody owes 18 year old whiskey to anyone. There's less and less of it, and more people want it every year. Start lusting over a Karuizawa single cask from 1981, or Ardbegs from the 1970s and you'll realize that BTAC, PHC, 4RLE are pretty affordable options in the luxury whiskey world.

I think the bottom line is supply and demand, and yes that's a hackneyed response to this conversation. But it's true. If Buffalo Trace dumped enough juice to put out $35 BTAC that was on a shelf in every liquor store then there probably wouldn't be BTAC next year. The consumer is the culprit here, not the Van Winkles or Buffalo Trace. People were buying Diageo's Port Ellen annual releases for a few hundred dollars each ($200-$500 depending on the year) and then flipping them on the secondary market for over $1000. What did they do? This year they released their annual release for $1200 and have sold them all almost immediately. Why wouldn't they do that? I hate the corporate structure and think "the profit motive" is just about the worst concept the modern world has ever created, but even I agree that you sell something for what it's worth, and the consumers, in large part, have decided what these products are worth.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree with Squire's and Jeffrey R's emendations to my list of good affordable bourbons. Indeed I buy some in the $20-$30 range, sometimes, and the good ones were mentioned.

I see no reason to spend more in terms of quality. Stagg when you can find it is actually a decent value because of the very high proof, and age, but apart from that when I've spent more I've been disappointed including the higher end WT's, the limited edition of 4R SB last year (I know a lot of people liked it but I didn't), those Taylors as issued by BT, and I can go on. I did enjoy Masterson's which is kind of in a category of its own - Canadian, all-rye - but generally will not spend more than $30.00 now in the U.S. (I'll go a little higher in Ontario because all the prices here are higher to begin with).

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I meant the LE of 4R Small Batch, not the single barrel (which I like a lot).

Gary

Guru

While my "everyday" pours are on the lower end (under $30 a bottle stuff), I hate to admit that I'll still buy the expensive stuff that I've had and liked (GTS, THH). What I have found out though is that I don't need to buy it every year (and maybe not even every other year!!) If I drank it more frequently, I think it would lose a bit of the luster it has for me (not to mention hit my pocketbook), and there is plenty of damn fine bourbon under $30. If I had to pick one thing to drink for the rest of my life and forgo all others, it would probably be ETL rather than GTS (but damn . . . I'd miss the Stagg!) I fully expect prices to continue to go up, especially as different entities are trying to reduce their debt/deficits. Tax is already a huge percentage as it is!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins